Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, I know it's kind of a trade secret, but what with me being a respected member of CT and all.....Oh, never mind, that's not gonna fly. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know I can just hire a surveyor again, but it kinda pisses me off that that was just done, and I can't find the damn corners.

The corners are marked, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I can measure off the house a certain distance, but then I need a compass bearing, and the lines on the map have markings that bear no relation to compass points.

I understand if no one wants to post it in the open forum, but a PM will be reciprocated by splitting the payoff that I'm sure to get from my vote in the COTM contest. :eek: :laughing:

Delta

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
You are looking for corners?
How big of a lot are we talking here?
The survey should spec out if they are monuments, iron pipe, iron rod, or maybe just wood stake.

If they are monuments or iron, get a metal detector.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
...The corners are marked, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I can measure off the house a certain distance, but then I need a compass bearing, and the lines on the map have markings that bear no relation to compass points.

I understand if no one wants to post it in the open forum, but a PM will be reciprocated by splitting the payoff that I'm sure to get from my vote in the COTM contest. :eek: :laughing:...Delta
How are they marked?

Taking measurements and compass bearings off a survey leads to a huge margin for error.

If the ground has been surveyed it is fairly cheap to have the surveyor flag the corners.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Is the lot wooded?
Usually even years later you can find a lot line by the way the growth is smaller where the survey crew came through or all the tree branches are missing.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
80 acres.

I don't know what the corners will be marked with. I've found a couple marks, t-posts with flagging, but they are certainly not corners.

I know that a compass bearing is not too accurate for survey work, but I can hike around till I find something. I did that at another (smaller) property. The survey crew set marks along a line, and pointed me in the right direction, and I ended up finding all 4 corners.

Even if they had Latitude and Longitude marks, I could use someone's "smartphone", and put in the coordinates, but I can't interpret that info off the map.

Delta

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the lot wooded?
Usually even years later you can find a lot line by the way the growth is smaller where the survey crew came through or all the tree branches are missing.
I'd hoped for that, but it was logged about 25 years ago, then split up.

Delta

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe when it was sub-divided, about 25 years ago.

Hard to tell if when the house was built if they surveyed again, or just used the original. Then I heard it was done recently again, not sure why.

I have all the plot maps, and measurements from the edge of the house to the lot line, I just can't make sense of the notation.

I also don't know how accurate the measurements are. For example, it says "535 feet" from house to lot line. I don't know what the margin of error in something like that is.

Delta

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I believe when it was sub-divided, about 25 years ago.

Hard to tell if when the house was built if they surveyed again, or just used the original. Then I heard it was done recently again, not sure why.

I have all the plot maps, and measurements from the edge of the house to the lot line, I just can't make sense of the notation.

I also don't know how accurate the measurements are. For example, it says "535 feet" from house to lot line. I don't know what the margin of error in something like that is.

Delta

Margin of error should be zero otherwise you will have constant border disputes. Surveyors sometimes start by finding a PK on an adjoining property and measuring on down. If there is no obvious monument or rod to start they may find a PK in the road also and then work down to your lot.
I bought 54 acres a few years ago and the surveyor told me he uses satellite reading to get to the way back corners.

·
Contractor
7,739 Posts
Do the notations look something like what I posted below?

The first parts are the direction, the last part is the length of the line.

You probably have to make a correction from magnetic N, to true N for the compass readings to align correctly with what you expect.

N 38° 29' 00" W 143.29'

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the notations look something like what I posted below?

The first parts are the direction, the last part is the length of the line.

You probably have to make a correction from magnetic N, to true N for the compass readings to align correctly with what you expect.

N 38° 29' 00" W 143.29'
Yes, that is what they look like. The problem is, none of the coordinates seem to be what they should be.

I'll post a couple pictures.

Delta

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K. This first one is a picture of the whole plot map.

The next 2 are a close up of the actual numbers.

Haven't a clue why the 4th is showing up. :blink:

The top of the screen is north for all pictures.

In the first pic, if it means 45 degrees west of south, that would not be correct. as that property line, from the compass mark on the plot map, is a due north-south line. :confused:

Text Plan Map Line Diagram

Text Line Font Parallel Diagram

Text Line Font Number

Delta

Attachments

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
How dead on do you need to be in the corners?

I have found a few survey markers with a metal detector but they are not always used and false positives on my acreage are constant.

Have you used google street view or a similiar sat. view that shows land marks or even trees that can get you closer? I have done that but I am just inside the "city" view and high clarity which you will not have if rural.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured this out.

Surveyors use bearings, not azimuth, readings.

The numbers in those pics I posted, are degrees, minutes, and seconds, in the east or west quadrant, from north or south.

All directions are based on a reference to north or south, and how many degrees east or west from north or south it is.

There is a lot more to it than that, but that's the basics.

If anyone was wondering. :blink:

Delta

1 - 20 of 26 Posts