Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Anyone build a wooden tool chest

17285 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  charimon
I'm going to be building a set of drawers to sit on a shelf in the shed and house some of my more delicate items such as multimeters, moisture meter, etc.

Sort of like a wooden version of this:

I've got a sheet of 1/2" sheathing plywood and a sheet of 6mm luan to build with as well as a pile of scrap 1x.

My plan is to build a box out of the 1/2" ply with a luan back. The sides of the case will have grooves cut into them for the drawers to slide in. The drawer boxes will be 1/2" ply with the luan for the bottom. The bottom will be nailed on and hang over on each side by 3/16"-1/4" to go into the grooves in the side of the case. Drawers will be 3 & 4" deep. Width and depth yet to be determined. The maximum size for the cabinet will be 16"x30" to fit on the shelf.

Any input?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
The cut plywood riding in a cut plywood groove doesn't slide very well, and you have to have a loose fit. Glue / nail pine runners on the box sides, and it will work better.
I was planning a loose fit anyway as this will be outdoors in te sed year round.

I've changed to plan based upon wat you said. I am now planning on runners on both the drawer and the cabinet. One or both will be plywood and the other pine if I can find some scraps around, otherwise I plan on plywood there as well. I've had plywood on plywood runners this way in another toolchest I build 5 years ago and have had no problems. Those drawers are about half the size though. I may make the chest runners out cover the entire side with slots for the drawer runners to prevent the drawers tipping when open.

I've got the cabinet and half of 1 drawer built. It was too dark and I don't have lights in the shed so no pics.
I'd use a hardwood for the 'slides' as pine will wear through in about 50 years...

Wax em too..
Sycamore for the slides if you can find it.
Plywood flat to the case and drawer isn't a problem, but running a luaun bottom into a plywood groove works until the luaun starts to chip or delaminate.
I am now planning on runners on both the drawer and the cabinet. One or both will be plywood and the other pine if I can find some scraps around, otherwise I plan on plywood there as well. I've had plywood on plywood runners this way in another toolchest I build 5 years ago and have had no problems.

Its future home:

Haven't decided if I'm going to call this done or not. I may add a 1/4" firring to the front edges of the case and then install 3/4" outside corner moulding painted black, and skin the drawer fronts with something.
A little late to the party ,looks like you done and did it :thumbsup:

I made one awhile back.
3/4 ply, hardwood runners, dado in drawer sides.

Pull the top drawer completely out and there is a secret box up above.

Also has a 1/2" ply face that covers the whole thing and locks into the hasp.

I love boxes......

Attachments

Reactions: Sawdust54
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.