Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anybody ever use this tool for building stairs. It is designed to give you exact fitting stair treads very, very quickly.

I am thinking of buying it for an upcoming project. Cost is $97.60

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Mike,

I have a very similar tool designed by Collins Tool. He is also the maker of the Collins Coping Foot. www.collinstool.com

I used it for one job and it paid for itself on the first tread. I think it was only about $50 too.

I highly reccommend the tool if you have a staircase to do in the future.

Greg

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Mike Finley said:

Anybody ever use this tool for building stairs. It is designed to give you exact fitting stair treads very, very quickly.

I am thinking of buying it for an upcoming project. Cost is $97.60
Seems like it's something you wouldn't need that often, - - but would be pretty damn handy when you do.

Alright, - - I'm sold, - - where do I get one??

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Mike, that's exactly the one I have. I just use a 1x4 scrap. The other nice advantage is that you can write on the 1x4. Why do you need to write on the 1x4? I always make notations as to the nosing side and the riser side so that when I make it back to the saw, I orient the template correctly on the tread material.

While you're buying from Collins, you might as well buy a coping foot so I can stop bothering you about it! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I've got one of those around here that was made in the 50's. It works pretty good in linen closets and pantries too.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Mike Finley said:
You can buy one from me for a 40% mark-up or if you must you can get one directly at http://www.stairtool.com
Thanks, Mike, - - I'll wait and order that next week, - - don't know if the wifey can handle any more 'shockers' this week, - - I spent over $900 ordering a 18' X 21' carport on Tuesday, - - and dropped just over $1000 today on a new siding brake (it's not my fault it rained and I got a little bored today). :cheesygri

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's pretty cool and I like how the head pivots on each side to account for situations where your materials aren't perfectly square.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ever use a stair template?

Have any of you ever used a stair template? They were last made in the 70's by Porter Cable, but now being made by a private person that I have found. I included pics of both the old one and new one. If you want any more info on them please feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I wonder what Porter-Cable thinks of you ripping them off ? Or who ever holds the patient

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
stairguy has been hawking this tool on every topic that is even remotely related to stairs. He has been warned for 2 days and keeps on posting, where are the mods?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
stairguy has been hawking this tool on every topic that is even remotely related to stairs. He has been warned for 2 days and keeps on posting, where are the mods?
I thought you are a mod?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I dunno, it looks kinda cool like Warhol art. It's also priced like it.

If I was a stair builder as a profession, I could possibly justify the purchase of the product. I don't know of ANY around here.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
If I was a stair builder as a profession, I could possibly justify the purchase of the product. I don't know of ANY around here.
Any what??

Jigs or stairbuilders??

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dedicated stair builders. We have a company that specializes in circular stairs but they don't actually manufacture. Two story homes aren't all that popular around here anyway, wind loading increases substantially with height.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I dunno, it looks kinda cool like Warhol art. It's also priced like it.

Well, I guess I'm kinda glad to hear that SOMEONE out there can somewhat appretiate what I have here, unlike most of you. I'm sorry to see all the negative responses that came from it, guess most of you just can't build stairs. It does take a pretty smart carpenter to do so I guess. 90% of the trimmers in New York build stairs, so I guess I just thought that most trimmers STILL did stair work and would love what they saw on here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts