Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanting to cover/lipstick the 6x6 posts I have supporting the overhang on my shed. I never really had a set plan in mind when I threw it up, and now have to work with what I got...need something big enough to cover the sonotubes the posts sit on. I recently found a website that carries exactly what I'm looking for, a stacked rock look that will completely encase my sonotubes and give me the look I'm after, but I'm hesitant to spend almost $700 with an online store (they have no dealer outlets) with a place I've never dealt with. I've rolled the dice in the past with other online only stores/products, but just putting out a feeler.

Said posts I want to use the faux bases..I have 12" of 1" clean rock under my slab for drainage, 1/2" rebar installed 2' oc both directions and a true 6" thick slab...overkill, but concrete is cheap and I only want to do this once. I've watched for heave the past 4 yrs and am proud to say there has been ZERO lift/setteling....so technically I would feel confident building the box the faux wrap attaches to and allowing it to sit directly onto the slab, but I will probably build framing in such a way it will be suspended 1" above the slab and I will install a "floating" composite board to keep bugs out/give it a finished appearance. I know it wont look/feel like real stacked rock, but it's a fricken shed LOL. IF a guy could do a real masonary stack of some sort and have it be safe/long term, I wont rule that out either. Price isn't really a concern, I just want "a certain look". The exposed parts of the posts above the faux cover will get cedar board I will stain for some added masculinity.

Shed posts:

Faux wrap I'm ready to pull the trigger on:
http://www.fauxpanels.com/wellington/drystack-wide-column.php?model=WE-DS-CLWD-EA

Installation destructions for said post wraps:
http://www.fauxpanels.com/install-wellington-column-wraps.php

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kind of what I started with since I know people will ask about the peir retaining wall. I grew up in this house and always hated the backyard since it was just a hill and I couldn't utilize it, so I dug it all out, rerouted the main electrical service to the house for the future garage build. Originally intended to do a cedar privacy fence (so neighbors didn't have to look at all my construction junk) but last minute wife wanted vinyl)...probably better for zero maintainence LOL

After I dug out and hauled out 16 tandem loads of dirt

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I started with since I know people will ask about the peir retaining wall. I grew up in this house and always hated the backyard since it was just a hill and I couldn't utilize it, so I dug it all out, rerouted the main electrical service to the house for the future garage build. Originally intended to do a cedar privacy fence (so neighbors didn't have to look at all my construction junk) but last minute wife wanted vinyl)...probably better for zero maintainence LOL

new service being ran

After I dug out and hauled out 16 tandem loads of dirt (
with help)

Getting fence put up and before I stabbed the ground treated 6x6 posts 60" in the ground to make the "framing" for the peir wall

The "retaining wall" then got ground treated 2x10's stacked up and attached to back side of posts. I then ran that plastic dimpled foundation wrap stuff on the back side of the 2x10's to keep wood from being subjected to constant moisture, and laid 4" drain tile at the base. Brought in 120T of 3/4" clean rock and back filled/brought to grade on back side of retaining wall. Will it work/last...time will tell.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sorry, no, but can you get samples. I've looked into some of these before and your price is pretty low. I would want to see a sample before I committed.

I have seen them done before and they can look good, or they can look fake.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Crane bella stone had a nice looking one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts