Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw a storage system that was for lose nuts, bolts and such. One of those boxes for your shop you set on the work bench or mount on the wall that has tons of little drawers that pull out and you store different stuff in each one.

The difference was the little individual drawers had lids on them? or maybe they had a few lids that came with it, so that you could slide a drawer out and it had a lid on it so you could stick it in your tool bag and take it to the job site without having to worry about spilling it.

Been looking at catalogs and can't find one like this.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Weathergaurd makes those. They are larger type drawers like the ones hardware is organized in a harware store but have individual compartments in them. They are 3" high 18" wide and 12" deep and have 12 compartments in them. Not sure if thats bigger than your looking for.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Thanks for the response, yep, looking for the smaller ones that fit maybe 30-50 screws. You know the ones that have drawers that are like 2 inches wide and maybe 5 inches deep.
Mike,

You should seriously consider Plano 3700 series tackle boxes. Take a look at BassProShops.com. I'm a fisherman and I always seem to have extras laying around. I finally started using them for screws and nails. My life has changed.
The nice thing is that they don't crack even if you drop them full of screws. Most models have moveable partitions too.

I also picked up a Stanley parts box at HD that has removable yellow containers in it. I thought it would be a POS, but it's help up well.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Greg Di said:
I also picked up a Stanley parts box at HD that has removable yellow containers in it. I thought it would be a POS, but it's help up well.
Gotta agree with you on those Stanley boxes, - - I've got about 15 of 'em, - - a few in each truck and a few in the shop.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand what you guys are saying but that's not for me. I have no problems organizing stuff and storing it in the shop.

The normal situation is lets say during a bathroom remodel on Tuesday I am going to need some drywall anchors to set in some towel racks. I usually have to go to the rack and grab a handfull of a few different sized anchors and screws and throw them into something. At the end of Tuesday I usually end up throwing out what is left because I can't find the will to sort them all and stick them back into their places.

That's why it would be so nice to just slide out a couple of draws and put them in the tool bag for the day. Do the work and slide the drawers back in when done.

I'll find them, I've seen them before, I just haven't been able to find them again.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not trying to talk you into anything, Mike, - - but the way I do it is to keep one of these Stanley storage cases right in my shop full of several different size anchors w/screws, lead anchors, sheetrock anchors, etc., - - then if I know I'm going to need it on the job, - - I just grab the whole case and bring it along, - - the other advantage is, - - when you're pulling anchors right out of the case, - - whatever ones you don't use go right back in.

In the truck I keep one case full of all different sized galvo screws, - - another full of sheetrock screws, - - another with deck screws, - - and another yet with cordless and pneumatic trim nails, - - whichever particular kind of fastener I'm working with, I just grab the whole case, - - then all the different sizes are right at hand.

When I get time to make a few more shelves in the truck, - - the 'anchor' case will be in the truck all the time, too, - - but there'll also be another 'loaded' case in the shop.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have some Plano boxes that, I think, have been discontinued. The drawers are about 2" deep, too deep for most tackle boxes. The lower drawer is about 3" deep as is the hinged top. I can supply a # tomorrow if anyone is interested.
I use the Stanley boxes for screws, and other small parts.
My best one came from a garage sale, is extra heavy duty and definitely a commercial grade box but no ID anywhere.
I mark mine per job duty and load/unload as required.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Mike,

You may also consider building kit boxes. I do exactly the same type of work as you so I know the feeling about needing a lil' here and there. I've created containers by category and don't really mix and match. I use 50 cal ammo cans for some of the boxed goods like finish gun nails, HD gal nails and screws, drywall screws. The ammo cans stack great and are moisture proof and CHEAP.

If I need anchors, I bring the whole anchor kit because I know if I think I need the small ones, I'll actually need the big ones or vice versa.

I have kits for tools as well and duplicate small hand tools as necessary so each kit is properly stocked. I have a plumbing kit, an electrical kit, a drywall kit, a door hanging kit, a trim kit, a tile kit, a painting kit, etc...

I keep all the standard tools on the truck all the time like circ saw, cordless everything, sawzall, router, lasers, tool belt. All the other tools only get loaded when I know I need them on the job.

I usually spend an hour over the weekend sorting/organizing my truck from the past week because between me and my assistant, nothing is ever in the same spot. I get tired of telling him, "it's in the passenger side box, next to where the laser should be".

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Mike Finley said:
The difference was the little individual drawers had lids on them? or maybe they had a few lids that came with it, so that you could slide a drawer out and it had a lid on it so you could stick it in your tool bag and take it to the job site without having to worry about spilling it.

I spent some time looking for these also
I have so far been unsuccessful
In the meantime I purchased some of the Stanley boxes referred to above
I must say they worked out much better than I thought
I will probably be purchasing some more Stanley cases if I can't find the other ones

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, Greg we do sound alike, especially with the kits. I own so many duplicate small tools it isn't even funny. I even go so far as to keep equipment check lists on my computer that I print out - one for tile, one for demo, one for installing a shower door...

It gets ridiculous but nothing is such a productivity killer as having to run to get a tool you forgot!

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The major problem with this topic is that we all have our own systems and jobs.
I started in window treatments as a favor to a few designers, I had a few small boxes dedicated to the program and everything went ballistic. I now have one van dedicated to the business.
Many parts are large, brackets and mounts can go 3X2" or 4X4". This is beyond most storage boxes when you need dozens of them. I have shifted to small toolboxes for these.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I thought I saw a storage system that was for lose nuts, bolts and such. One of those boxes for your shop you set on the work bench or mount on the wall that has tons of little drawers that pull out and you store different stuff in each one.

Hey Mike,

Here is a great website I checked out today. They sent a catalog to my wife in her travel agency’s name.? :rolleyes:

www.americanvan.com/catalog/categoryindex.cfm?category=Drawer & Storage Units

Looks like some good stuff to add to my Christmas list. :Thumbs:

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally found something similar to what I want.

It has 18 removable compartments with lids. It is designed more taking the entire thing with you on the job, but it is damn close to what I am looking for. I bought one today and will see how it works out. I tracked the manufacturer down also and asked them if they had anything else similar but they didn't. They were interested in what I was looking for though, so who knows in 10 years maybe they will hit the market with exactly what I described to them.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I finally found something similar to what I want.

I tracked the manufacturer down also and asked them if they had anything else similar but they didn't.
Was this one too big? I noticed it was almost 1/2 the price of the other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts