Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about the long term reliability and practicality of purchasing one of these lifts.

I am reluctant to get a driveable one. Partly because of the price of the lift itself plus the trailer to haul it. The there is the whole hassle of registering the vehicle with the DOT and all the inspections and insurance implications. Plus the parking. If a towable lift is as reliable, it might be a good fit.

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
I have a JLG T-350,

Excellent machine. More reliable than the drive units because you don't have to worry about starting it. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a JLG T-350,

Excellent machine. More reliable than the drive units because you don't have to worry about starting it. :laughing:
Don't you live in the same neighborhood as cali decks?

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I have a genie z34/25j, 4x4.

It's drivable and I bought because the towable one weren't working for me.

to hard to get it into tight areas,
I have my local tow company move it for me. $25-$50 each way, not bad.

also the price was right for the lift. $7500, it's a 2000 with 2200 hours.

·
Registered
261 Posts
depends what you need it for. imagine trying to use it all the way around a building, setting outriggers every time you need to reposition

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,779 Posts
Baskets are pretty small too on the towables . Plus like said you have to reset them all the time. I have two driveable ones would not be without for kind of work I do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We have a bil-jax 4527A. makes high work very easy. With this model there are electric, water (for pressure washer) and air line all routed through the lift. Just connect at the base.

Drawbacks are that you need plenty of room to set up the outriggers. I think you need like 11' on the width. If you need to move it around a house you need a few strong guys to push it around unless you can get your truck all the way around the house. We have a toro dingo that we mounted a 2" ball on and use that to reposition the lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts