Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with the rep from The Blue Book yesterday. They look very interesting for commercial job bidding. My biggest concern is the want a 2 year contract at $180 per month with no 'out'. They explain that they also have a printed book (which is true).

Does anyone have experience with this book and web site or know anything about it?

Ismael,

www.ismaelsinc.com

·
Registered
562 Posts
I met with them a few years ago. The contract and monthly are insane. Too much to risk. You could put that same amount towards adwords without any contract. It may not bring in as much commercial work, but you aren't locked in to anything.

If you have a chance, check out their Builders Showcase. Great networking opportunity, and it is catered very well. :thumbup:

All of our marketing efforts have gone into lead generation from our website. I haven't totally ruled them out, but until they work on their monthly fee or the contract term, I won't risk it.

Dave

·
Vendor
167 Posts
I am meeting with a local rep this Thursday just to scope it out and get more information. We will see.
Lyle

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had their free white page listing for years. No business from it, though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hear you, JBM, but how can BB guarantee that you will win bid? BB is just providing the introduction of GC and sub.
The two year thing pissed me off too, but again, I have have made thousands in profit off of jobs I gained via BB.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Blue Book can work. We used bluebook for a long time. Had a subcontract retail specialty focus. Got very good numbers of lead/bid requests consistently. Even fairly regular calls from the physical blue book listing.
Drawback, it's competitive bidding. Can't or are not willing to price accordingly or use the bid requests to get your foot in the door (more direct sales marketing), you will never get ROI, ever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can make a very basic posting on Bluebook for free, and my company has had this up for the last 6 months (we've been using the site to find sub-trades for MUCH longer). In those 6 months, I regularly get at least 4-5 bid invitations per week for our framing, drywall, and electrical postings and have won 4 of those bids since putting up our company on their site (not the best success rate, but we keep busy anyways).

BlueBook DID send a nice rep to our office recently to invite us to advertise, but honestly, even their "Bronze" listing price of $180/mo for 2 years is steep, since there isn't a guarantee, as other guys here have noted. Basically, just the free listing is plenty for us in the NY/NJ/PA area as a supplement to our regular client base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts