Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a job that will require Swanstone panels for the shower. Anybody familiar with the product. It seems relatively easy to work with now that I am reading more and more about it on their website. Does anybody ever router the edges or do anything other than cut and install it out of the box?

Also I talked to Home Depot and they quoted me $1156.00 for a shower kit which just included the 3 side panels. (2) 34x72s and (1) 48x72. Talking to my local plumbing supply house and they quoted me just $10.00 a square foot for whatever. That would make the same kit cost $560.00.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Two things mike First i see you have a new logo. Its a class act. Second wow1156.00 For three panels. I going to that website and check out what your talking about. Wow its solid surface for the bathroom shower or tub surround and its like a matching package where you can color cordinate the floor and toliet and vanity top. It looks awesome. But i have one question. On there website they only show showers do you think i could run it around a bathtub. I current have in my shower bathroom a bathtub with the fiberglass surround around it. It does need to be updated. Meaning old castiron white tub with fiberglass surround around it. I would trash the whole bathroom trying to get that tub out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
747 said:
Two things mike First i see you have a new logo. Its a class act.
Thanks, I'm excited about finally being able to promote a really professional image too.


747 said:
Second wow1156.00 For three panels. I going to that website and check out what your talking about. Wow its solid surface for the bathroom shower or tub surround and its like a matching package where you can color cordinate the floor and toliet and vanity top. It looks awesome. But i have one question. On there website they only show showers do you think i could run it around a bathtub. I current have in my shower bathroom a bathtub with the fiberglass surround around it. It does need to be updated. Meaning old castiron white tub with fiberglass surround around it. I would trash the whole bathroom trying to get that tub out.

It is available for bathtubs too.



Take a look here
http://www.swanstone.com/products/tubWalls/

If you want to change the color of the tub there is always the tub refinishers. I have great results with them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Ya that stuff is sharp. I just going to listen to my plumber and have that bathtub refinished. He gave me a guys name and he said for 300 he will refinish it and give a five year warranty. He said option 2 blanket over tub and sledge hammer and get ready for a major work out. I like option 1 300 and no workout. He said he had the guy refinish a old soaking tub and it turn out brand new. And in 5 years i go another 300.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been incorporating more and more of these tub refinishes into projects lately, everything from just fixing chips to total color changes. Only down side I have found about them is that the homeowner can't keep anything on the tub itself, they have to use shower caddies and soap dishes for everything. It seems that anything sitting on the tub long term creates a problem with the new surface 'lifting' due to water sitting under the item.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Mike you got me thinking. About 15 years ago i was looking for a christmas present for my father. I found this dispenser that you mount in the corner of your shower. It had a top on it with three screw lids underneath. One was for shampoo one was for soap and one was for conditioner. Then on the front was three buttons that said soap conditioner and shampoo. You just push the button on the front and hold you hand underneath. That would be the perfect solution for a refinished bath tub because then you have nothing sitting on it. Unfortunately i haven't seen one of those on the market in i dont no how many years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Looking at a job that will require Swanstone panels for the shower. Anybody familiar with the product. It seems relatively easy to work with now that I am reading more and more about it on their website. Does anybody ever router the edges or do anything other than cut and install it out of the box?

You can router the edges....depending upon finish. No different than corian or other solid surface products from my experience... <<<<discaliamer>>>> maybe try a test peice first though <<<disclaimer<<<< LOL

WDA
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top