Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sharpie
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a client who wants to build a ramp down the side of their house, among other things, but I'm a little in the dark in regards to glitches, headaches, and appropriate design.

I have information pertaining to slope that for a commercial application the ramp needs to be 1' in 12' pitch; however the distance I have to work with is 10' drop over 40' or 1' in 4'. I'm concerned about it being to steep, eventhough the wheelchar in question is motorized and also the winter, ice, slipping issue is there as well.

As you can see by the photo there is nowhere to put any switchbacks. As for materials I was thinking pressure treated with a non-slip surface of some sort. Concrete also crossed my mind. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
A ramp is not possible at that pitch, you'll have to look into a lift of some sort; build a "dock" so to speak and the lift will make up the height differential. Sorry for the short answer - time for lunch ;)

·
Sharpie
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I had a feeling that it was going to come to that. I guess I'll design something. Any ideas on a rail type system, possibly driven by a cable? Suppliers?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You may have room for a switchback w/ landing depending on the setbacks. A variance may be available for accommodating the infirmed.

Medicare could spring for an elevator if qualified. I've been involved in some pretty strange stuff when it comes to this.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Looking at the pic i cant see how a lift will work either unless you build a level cat walk from the top of hill all the way down the side of house to front and then a 10' verticle lift at the end. Then you will cover that window and loose the steps.
I think some sort of moterized trolly with rail attached to the house or better yet steel post set in contrete is the way to go. It wont cost as much as a 120' triple switch back ramp you would have to built otherwise even if you had room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts