Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been graining since becoming an apprentice to my father in 1978, although I remember getting the first shiver down my spine watching him work when I was about seven. Boy have I got some tools that on opening the box history fills your eyes and lungs, it's a pleasure to go to work.
Alas it is a dying trade and graining projects become less frequent due to advances in technology but I would be interested to hear your methods 'over there'
I grain in oil ,spirit and water and would be happy to pass on any hints just because I'm a good guy, or maybe because youll have to travel a long way to steal my trade ;) to anyone wishing to add another string to their bow.
Boiled or raw? beer or milk? wipe out or grain in?
Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
I woodgrain with an tinted oil primer used as a base coat, use oil gel stains and topcoat with polyurethane. If it's embossed woodgrain I usually brush on stain and wipe with a rag, going back over with an artist brush to highlight woodgrains.
If it's a smooth surface I use a woodgraining tool and lightly brush out for blending.
I hope there are others that will share, there is always something to learn.
Brenda

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed... Can we see some more examples? Rich.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I remember my sister in Bristol, England stripping down a couple of grained doors when she was redecorating her house. :cry: Couldn't believe it, they were gorgeous. They never looked that good again. Rich.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You use stale beer (the UK. people prefer Guinness) thin it down to about 1 part beer, 3 parts water and you use guache paint for colour. The beauty of this system is that its dry in a few minutes, then you go oil on top. And, if you dont like the effect of graining or over graining with this beer glaze, you just wipe it off (before you put oil or varnish on ) with a damp sponge and try again. very user friendly. Its the "old" way, been done for centurys in europe.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Exroadog said:
You use stale beer (the UK. people prefer Guinness) thin it down to about 1 part beer, 3 parts water and you use guache paint for colour. The beauty of this system is that its dry in a few minutes, then you go oil on top. And, if you dont like the effect of graining or over graining with this beer glaze, you just wipe it off (before you put oil or varnish on ) with a damp sponge and try again. very user friendly. Its the "old" way, been done for centurys in europe.
My Grandfather gave me a couple old recipes like this. He used to take a steel file cabinet or door, and grain it to whatever type of wood you wanted. Very impressive stuff. Wish I had time/patience/clientele requests to learn this stuff.
I use the guache to color roll ends of dark or problem wall paper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts