Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put the tube back on the shelf in my shop. Standing upright if that makes a difference. I've had some success just pumping the gun a few times and pushing the dried plug out. Other times I have to drive a screw into the opening and pull it straight out.

The best solution is to just open a fresh tube, but I understand the desire to use the whole tube rather than throw it out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Caulk tubes are for production. If I use 2 cases of caulk, I don't worry about throwing away half a tube. If I want a little bit of glue or something, I try to get that in a little squeeze bottle.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Buy a pack of water balloons from the dollar store.

I put a 16d in the tip, roll on a ballon. Works great for me on those rarely used colors like black.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Caulk tubes are for production. If I use 2 cases of caulk, I don't worry about throwing away half a tube. If I want a little bit of glue or something, I try to get that in a little squeeze bottle.
Sausages and bulk guns are for production, caulk tubes arn't.

Stick a piece of whatever crap you have lying around, nail, screw, zip tie, pen, then wrap it in electrical tape. If it's still drying out then you aren't working enough.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,469 Posts
We us Sherwin Williams 950 never any need to cap them off. They keep pumping months after being cut open
I use Big Stretch and never cap it off. Never had any problems even months down the road.

Now silicone...different story.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have to deal with this a lot. Most of my jobs are so small I'm using less than a tube.
Ultimately it depends what kind of caulk. For silicone I use a roofing nail and that usually does it. Pl premium I use a 16d nail and painters' tape to hold it in. Alex painters' caulk I just use a caulk condom. Some caulking just can't be saved after a couple days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts