Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly trying to align the screws in a deadlock are a pain in the butt and then the knob gets in the way of screws.

Do you have any hacks/tips on aligning and screwing and aligning these screws in?

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Are you talking about a deadbolt, or a lockset?
Dead bolts don't have knobs, they have thumb turns.

Either one you just have to have some sense of location of the male threads vs the female threads and make em line up. ;)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have found that the better quality locksets/deadbolts are easier to install. I've also found that they are not as readily available as before.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry the lockset. I know some locks have a recess so that when you poke around with the screw it drops into the recess.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Hold the exterior side tight to the door. >TURN< the 'knob' 1/4 turn out of the way (interior side).

Keep the interior side just far enough away to see the screw and screw receiver.... start the screw...then start the other screw...suck it up tight.

It just is - what it is. No magic tricks. Gets easier after doing a couple hundred - or not

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Kwikset must have felt your pain.

They make a lockset that already has the screws threaded into the exterior portion of the lock (right out of the package). You just give the interior side a 1/16 twist to allow the screwheads to slip through the keyhole slots.

Reassemble with a quick twist and tighten screws.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Oh my goodness!

This is such a problem that we need to start a thread?

What is this country coming to??!!

We ARE in deep doo-doo!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh my goodness!

This is such a problem that we need to start a thread?

What is this country coming to??!!

We ARE in deep doo-doo!
Threads have been started about much, much, dumber things.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
Sometimes I put my fingers on the screw heads to keep them straight as I push them together. One of my favorite tools for installing locks is one of those offset electrician screwdrivers (Klein 682-6). Turns those long screws really fast. Often gets the client's attention, too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes I put my fingers on the screw heads to keep them straight as I push them together. One of my favorite tools for installing locks is one of those offset electrician screwdrivers (Klein 682-6). Turns those long screws really fast. Often gets the client's attention, too. :thumbup:
Wow that is cool, gotta get me one of those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts