Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned it a few times here already, but we are now ready for plaster in dads 100% DIY (meaning I have to help do everything) concrete pool.

The walls and floor are in, the deck an coping are poured and I am going to get a load of sand and half a pallet of portland in the morning.

I have done a ton of stucco with a regular portland-lime-sand mix. From what info I can find though pool plaster is mixed 1:2 portland:sand.

I have never worked with a rich portland mix with no lime, it sounds horrible to be honest, the thing is just a big rectangle, so at least there shouldn't be too much corner work, just the 4 verticals and the coves.

How are they typically finished, trowel finish only, or is it okay to break out the sponge?

Here is what I am working with (I didn't stack those rocks either, that is all the old man :whistling)

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm not sure about the mix, I think I would want some bonding agent in the mix though fro a little more workability. Maybe even something to keep it from bleeding and seperating?

I've had this idea on the back of my mind for years, and must say I think you did a fantastic job on the pool so far, considering the materials used. The coping and pool deck looks great as well.

Did use use a foam insert for the coping shape, something like a "Stegmeir" foam form?

Also, if I remember correctly, you poured a concrete pad and laid block on it. What did you use to water proof the floor, walls, and especially the joint between them?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would think you would want to add 1/2 of lime for workability. Like 1/0.5/2 where 1 is Portland and .05 is lime. I also would use the sponge. Looking good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about the mix, I think I would want some bonding agent in the mix though fro a little more workability. Maybe even something to keep it from bleeding and seperating?

I've had this idea on the back of my mind for years, and must say I think you did a fantastic job on the pool so far, considering the materials used. The coping and pool deck looks great as well.

Did use use a foam insert for the coping shape, something like a "Stegmeir" foam form?

Also, if I remember correctly, you poured a concrete pad and laid block on it. What did you use to water proof the floor, walls, and especially the joint between them?
I wish we could have used Stagmeir forms, my dad has done this the hard way on every phase so far.

I wanted to lay block, nope, we had to pour the walls. Way more work involved.

I wanted to order foam coping forms, dad thought they were too much money to just "throw away" so he spent hours on the router table making his own.

I wanted to put in a liner track and just get a vinyl liner, he wants it plastered.

I can't seem to win.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
If you need a bonding agent, that's just white Portland cement and acrylic fortifier mixed in a plastic garbage can (thin mix), and rolled on with a roller cover that leaves some stippling.

The standard white pool job is white portland cement with "pool mix" (crushed marble) for aggregate. You can get a huge variety of colored aggregates as well.

Sponges are good for getting material spread in the corners, then go with the trowel to smooth it.

Filling the pool is a trick - do it wrong and you can ruin the whole job.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
If you need a bonding agent, that's just white Portland cement and acrylic fortifier mixed in a plastic garbage can (thin mix), and rolled on with a roller cover that leaves some stippling.

The standard white pool job is white portland cement with "pool mix" (crushed marble) for aggregate. You can get a huge variety of colored aggregates as well.

Sponges are good for getting material spread in the corners, then go with the trowel to smooth it.

Filling the pool is a trick - do it wrong and you can ruin the whole job.

I second this. :thumbsup:

D.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
There is a product from Durock Alfacing, called Pool Kote. Don't mess around, a pool done wrong isn't a good thing.

Now it's a Canadian product, but they export world wide, so maybe call them and see if someone local imports the stuff, there 10 minutes from me, but shipping powder across the border for what you need is probably pretty pricey

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Gee this bring back memories. I hepled my dad do one similar and he was thick too.
It was round on one end and square on the other. We laid block for the walls [only about 4' high then dug out the deep end bowl shaped Formed in from the block walls with plywood [he poked holes in the block wall and rodded them] then poured them.
Once that was done we poured the bottom which was rodded to the walls. I remember stuffing the cement up and under the conc wall bottoms which we undermined so the seem was L shaped to form a water stop. He never plastered it [that was his specailty too] we rubbed it down with cement and sea sand [amount ed to the same thing] in a one to one mix like a bridge,then he painted it.
It lasted frome 1972 to just 6 years ago. He would have to paint it evey 3 years or so and he always mentioned that he should of had it lined with plastic....The new owners had it demoed...hired a huge excavator ...never got anywhere so they had to get a hydraulic hammer on it for 4 or 5 days...lol
I wanted to pour the walls and floor together but he didnt want the task at his age ...it did start to loose water a bit after 25 years.

As far as cement plaster he would aways talk about doing ceilings on wire lath with it. Told me how many guys got cement poisoning from it. I did some and an all one had to do is push too hard and it would start an avalanch especially in the cooler wether.

As far as worrying about bonding, if the concrete is green it'll stick like glue..put it on thin and spounge it. I watched the guys do it once.They have spiked shoes and rounded trowels. Walls first then the the floor all in one day. Keep in mind white portland is kinda dead to work with and I always swore it ws weaker. He used to do stucco houses with white portand finish coats and the product was medussa stucco...if it's still around who knows but white portland is it's makeup. One issue you may have is if you used a vibrator and have a polished effect on the walls,.. then I'd dull them or it'll separate.

Also I recall they fill the pool imediately after the stucco is done ...helps cure it slow... which I had reservations about.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Pool plaster is not regular stucco. Regular stucco is not water proof.

Pool plaster is 1 part portland to 1-1/2 parts marble dust. A 30% solids bonding agent can be added at 25% of mix water. Do not stop once you start, and fill with water as soon as you finish.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts

Pool plaster is 1 part portland to 1-1/2 parts marble dust. A 30% solids bonding agent can be added at 25% of mix water. Do not stop once you start, and fill with water as soon as you finish.
Winner, winner...

I concur, 100%. :thumbup:

D.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts

I think everyone knows that. The portalnd is the key waterproofing agent per say. IE there is nothing waterproof unless it's an elastomeric and even that fails eventually with the emergence of fissure cracks which are inevitable in concrete! Hence the recoat scenario.

All this waterproof hype is just that...I was the one who installed thorite [in HARLEM on a clinic] years back when it first came out. They filmed me unknowinglly ...good thing!
It was claimed to be able to be put in 1-1/2'' layers withouth shrinking but it did! They had to revise it and I got paid!....I never would have faith again in any mirical whip products which claim to defy nature!

Imo the water proofing is in the concrete wall. When it starts to slowly give[10years or so] the inevitable happens therby making vendors and manufacturers of new fangled nanno / graphine formuars rich!
But what do I know we thought horse hair was the cat's meow!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
The coating on my bro in laws pool was white under the paint and it didnt feel like a cement with sand, marble dust is how I would describe it yes.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts