Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions on how to tackle this mess when we replace the roof I know how to keep it from leaking, I am looking for the most aesthetically pleasing way to keep it from not leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was the flashing detail I found around the chimney....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This vent was also leaking...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats pretty much what I was thinking.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
WTF is that supposed to be - it doesn't look like flashing to me?
:laughing:
I was thinking the same thing. First comment that comes to mind is run, do not walk to the nearest exit.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
WTF is that supposed to be - it doesn't look like flashing to me?
:laughing:
Flashing is metal, right?
And you gots ta nail it down,
or it might blow away, right?

Sheesh, Sparkys don't know
much about roofing, eh?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Well you cant have standing water on a roof so you need those weep holes in the flashing.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Flashing is metal, right?
And you gots ta nail it down,
or it might blow away, right?

Sheesh, Sparkys don't know
much about roofing, eh?
Well you cant have standing water on a roof so you need those weep holes in the flashing.
My bad...I'll just stick to making things go on fire :laughing:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same thing. First comment that comes to mind is run, do not walk to the nearest exit.
Why would I run away????????? I am not trying to "fix" the roof We are tearing everything off

·
APPLIED RIGHT
383 Posts
Roof it!Definitely a cricket behind the chimney.Reflash the chimney,grind into mortar to install counter flashings.Slightly slope sections at bottom of valleys and install epdm,Tpo,pvc or modified on flat sections,make sure it goes up the pitched roof 18-24".Flash or ice and water any other suspect areas.Why frame this and reframe that(unesessary).Done several similiar to that.Its all relatively easy,be at one with the roof,lol.Take care;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Roof it!Definitely a cricket behind the chimney.Reflash the chimney,grind into mortar to install counter flashings.Slightly slope sections at bottom of valleys and install epdm,Tpo,pvc or modified on flat sections,make sure it goes up the pitched roof 18-24".Flash or ice and water any other suspect areas.Why frame this and reframe that(unesessary).Done several similiar to that.Its all relatively easy,be at one with the roof,lol.Take care;)

Same thing that John says, the only thing I do diffrent is I cut into the brick and mortar, a strait line 5" up from the roof line and counter flash over step flashing.

It looks like at one point, they actually had some old flashing that was cut into the chimney. Probably used for 3 roofs though,and full of nail holes. The 2 pieces of step flashing on top of it should fix that though :shutup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

Water diversion in the valleys is self explanatory, just like the drawing someone posted. As for the vent, it needs to be rerouted away from that valley, at least 16" in my opinion. BTW, is that supposed to be some kind of methane recovery system on top of that thing?:blink:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can't get over these pics! Amazing what some people pay for........

loneframer, I have seen that many times. People think squirrels get in their house through the pipes, so they cover them with mesh.

The flashing detail is something we should all adore. :D

These stories and pics just crack me up. Keep 'em comin'!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I can't get over these pics! Amazing what some people pay for........

loneframer, I have seen that many times. People think squirrels get in their house through the pipes, so they cover them with mesh.

The flashing detail is something we should all adore. :D

These stories and pics just crack me up. Keep 'em comin'!
I have heard of squirrels in toilets, but assumed it was folklore. Amazing what lengths a squirrel will go to to get some nuts.:shutup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts