Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am currently doing some patch and fix work for a landlord whose tenant decided to set up a weed-growing operation in his closet. There were holes in the ceiling for vent fans, a vent cut into the neighbooring bathroom, some kind of foil stapled (en masse no less because stapling is FUN!) to the walls and door, and an outlet mounted to the ceiling where the light fixture used to be so he had somewhere to plug his grow-lights.

Oh yeah, and did I mention he painted over his hardwood floors with a flat white paint?:blink:

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you had experience with a solvent that works on latex paint but not poly? I would assume a solvent that works on dry latex paint but not oil-based paint would work as well because oil-base solvents are the same used in poly as far as I know.

For your fun, I now present you with pictures :thumbup:

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
You could try laquer thinner on the paint on the floor but it probably be better to just refinish it.

You're gonna be floatin on cloud 9 scrubbing paint off the floor in a closet with laquer thinner. Flyin.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Those guys sure are fun! I once had a guy that used the entire top floor of a townhouse to grow in. He must have tripped the breakers a lot because he wired around them and tied in some aux. feeds from the lower level, what a nightmare!

If you want to spend the time, Denatured Alcohol should take you back down to the oil based. Try a small spot to determine if it will be worth your effort.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could try Goof Off, which will remove latex, but not affect fully cured oil based finishes.
Interesting. I thought goof off would dissolve cured poly. I guess it's worth a shot, but I'll probably need some scuba gear so I can breathe...

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,689 Posts
If you want to spend the time, Denatured Alcohol should take you back down to the oil based. Try a small spot to determine if it will be worth your effort.
Bout the only chemical I can think of too.

If it were me, I'd just take a RO sander & sand the paint off & give it another quick coat of poly. Be a lot quicker than using chemical.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Goof Off DID remove the paint without harming the poly, however at the rate of removal it's going to take about 6 quarts of the stuff to take it off.

I need to find a paint stripper that doesn't remove oil based stuff. Goof Off evaporates too quickly to really soak through the layer of paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts