Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Basically, you've got black & brown in the frame. You would almost have to streak stains to get the same look. I'd try water based black walnut, water it down, & do areas with a sponge. Then try a medium tone like fruitwood go over it all. The trick will be to get the variation like you have on the doors.

Joe

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No actually your not, I burned it a little but still waiting on the right colors too come to me,

I was even thinking of surprising her with punched tin inserts..

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Try the steel wool and vinegar. I just put some in a glass jar and let it sit for a day or two. Then just brush it on, it changes color very quick, test it out.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
The steel wool and vinegar mix works best on high tannin woods like oak. If it is a low tannin wood brush on a coat of strong tea, let it dry. The tea adds tannin.

As rough as that wood appears to be, I would seal it with Seal Coat first.

For the black I would use Trans Tint black diluted in DNA. For the brown I would use Zar Chestnut, it has no red undertones.

Tom

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
The steel wool and vinegar mix works best on high tannin woods like oak. If it is a low tannin wood brush on a coat of strong tea, let it dry. The tea adds tannin.

As rough as that wood appears to be, I would seal it with Seal Coat first.

For the black I would use Trans Tint black diluted in DNA. For the brown I would use Zar Chestnut, it has no red undertones.

Tom
It works on any wood, works especially well on pine. It really soaks in and looks very natural unlike some stains. Most of the weathered wood that I see/match is pine

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
It works on any wood, works especially well on pine. It really soaks in and looks very natural unlike some stains. Most of the weathered wood that I see/match is pine
Without tannins there will be no reaction. Try it on maple.

Tom

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Won't work that well on red oak either, which is why it's a decent (not foolproof) method of discerning between red and white oak.

White...goes black.....high tannin.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally found some steel wool, I don't go to stores that much ,

Checked the depot but couldn't find it, checked Walmart and kept finding SOS pads,

Finally found it though, I used distiller vinegar hope that works,

Steel wool suppose to float lol I just put it in this morning and was checking back to see how long it had to sit, I guess I'll know in a couple days

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Without tannins there will be no reaction. Try it on maple.

Tom
Ha Ha what ever you say Tom, what ever you say
Must have been magic why it works for me.
I will let you know the next time I come across a Maple barn

Frame- let it sit for a couple of days, you can add more stuff to it to slightly change the color. You can do a google search to see what to add to change the color. You should see a lot of bubbles by the steel wool. I put in some real small nails and kept it for a week or so.

I do some work with a furniture refinishing company and those guys initially told me about the process.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
We did the steel wool and vinegar (wife told me it was apple cider vinegar) trick on this chalkboard frame I built for the kids. Three - four coats of the vinegar, and a coat of linseed oil for the finish.

The frame was 1x4 clear pine from depot.

Don't know if that's the look you're going for, but that's what we did.

Pay no attention to the square metal corners sticking out past the rounded wood corners. I'm lazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The door frame in the picture are way different than the face frames.For the door frames the steel wool and vinager might work then go over the whole thing with some Sherwinn Williams special walnut.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts