Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I used one for about 2 weeks and absolutely hated it. It just never felt right. I think they sold the original company to Makita lately.

I am now using a Stilletto 14oz straight handle and love it. I'm a fancy man and I require a fancy hammer. :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Estwing weight forward, you gonna love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts

The handles are junk on them! I've went through 2 Death Sticks and 3 handles.
The Hart Woodys are junk also. I have 2 that are handleless in the garage .
Here's a link to a Douglas 18oz framing hammer. I use a 23oz. But if your not gonna be beating 16's all day it's a sweet hammer.
I bought mine off eBay also so if your looking for a bigger one just keep your eye open for em. I picked mine up new for $50 AWESOME hammer!
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DFR18-Douglas-P...ryZ63914QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Brent
Here's another link i found on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008BFRE/002-8526434-7804832?v=glance

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Never used a death stick. From what I seen they suck. The first day the paint wears off onto your hands. Their tool belt look like pfischer price made them. The only tool they make I like is the cats paw with the skil wrench on it. But that is a novelty any way.

For me it's alway been Vaughn 23 oz. Cal Framer or the riggin axe. Depending in what mood I am in. :D

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
At first I really thought this was a joke, with something grabbed off a Natzi website or something.

I still have the east wing I bought when I was 17. That would make it 22 years old? God damn I'm getting old!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, if it makes you feel any better, I have a Estwing framing hammer that is about twice that old and I bought it new.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I don't usually use a hammer much at work, but have been eyeballing this one, probably just because its called the 'Death Stick', and has the skull/crossbones on the head. Too cool eh? Anybody use one?

Who the hell cares if it's a good hammer, - - just put it in your 'holster' and wear it on 'collection' days!! :cheesygri

Will the matching 'truck' be coming out soon?? :cheesygri

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom R said:
Who the hell cares if it's a good hammer, - - just put it in your 'holster' and wear it on 'collection' days!! :cheesygri

Will the matching 'truck' be coming out soon?? :cheesygri
Exactly. :Thumbs:

And if you are swinging it while swigging this, you are having double the fun.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Mike, if it makes you feel any better, I have a Estwing framing hammer that is about twice that old and I bought it new.
Thanks Teetor, that does make me feel better. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
i actually own a "Death Stick". bought it pretty much because it looked cool. i used it ONCE. the most God-awful , uncomfortable hammer to use. every new guy i get has to use it their first day. they think it looks cool, and i think THEY look awful funny trying to use the blasted thing. noone's ever asked for it day two! i went back to my estwing and chalked it up as a bad impulse buy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use and like the FatMax Cal. Framer...I can't stand Estwings!! I like the little finger bump on the handle as well...I use it everyday all day and have never had a problem!! I'd use it for framing and alike, it's 18oz with the power of a 22+ due to the elongated handle...it also has a magnet in the head to start a nail that is to distant to do with just one hand else wise!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Th only way to go...

30 oz Estwing. The company calls the face "miled"...we call them waffles. Great hammer, if you're not scared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i use the 22 or 23 oz stanly no vib great hames can swing it all day no prop. on a resent roofing job compresser broke so had to use the hame the long handle and big head to hits nail in the head is also skinny so u can get into tight places. no more broken handles cuz it is all one peice. love it would recamend it to anyone.

·
FRAME ON!
1,653 Posts
I use a delouch framing hammer and a another from switzerland all nickel . That death stick is junk brothers . That Douglas is good hammer for tiliting up walls moving lumber , nocking trusses joices ect . It will take a beating .

1 - 20 of 69 Posts