Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to get more first hand info about the career path, pay, over all thoughts of working for a production home builder as a construction manager.

I currently work in an architectal roll for a semi-custom home developer. Endless hours behind a comp., the stress (all fingers eventually point to our department, lol), and low pay. I mean I will probably top out at 65-80k a year in my profession. This just won't cut it.

Anyway, I am thinking of making a switch to a production home construction manager. I understand this possible. I've looked up a few things and one sticks out. A CM Replied to someone, "you often hear architects saying, I should have gone into CM, but never a CM saying he should've gone into arch."

Any of you out there currently working in this capacity?

How do you like it? What is a rough career path? How is the pay? Who are the good ones to work For? I'm sure the hours can be long, but if the pay is right, so be it.

I eventually want to build spec on my own, i work for a spec builder now. Although I only have the Capitol to start small, they are turning huge profits in the 1-3mill dollar range. I've seen the numbers first hand. I don't believe working with them as a CM is an option.

I am thinking that veering into a prod CM, would be good experience, and if the spec building doesn't take off enough then staying with con management wouldn't be bad at all.

Thanks in advance for any direction or insight you guys can lend.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
It all depends on who is the builder, where at, how good are the subs, how organized are you & the list goes on & on. That accounts for hours, stress, pay, etc... Oh & yes the buck really does stop with you as you are pretty much responsible for everything & you should have been looking 5 to 10 steps ahead the whole time.
Would it be good experience for an up & coming Archy? Why yes it would be though I would also like to see them all have to be physically involved in a project from start to finish

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Any family history of ulcers, colitis/hemorrhoids, high blood pressure, anxiety disorders, divorce, or frequent company/relocation changes?

If not, you will soon be able to boast that.

Family friends daughter completed her schooling, got board licensed, went to work for a commercial firm in Maryland. She worked the first 5 years in the field, pulled down 110K by the time they called her inside to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This all reinforces what I've heard. Good to know.

I've thought about commercial for sure and haven't ruled it out yet.

Ive been leaning towards multi family residential or production homes for two reasons. my home town is projected to grow by several million in the next few years so anything residential should be a good market. Multifamily I think would provide better pay then production and each project will last longer. The reason I lean towards production, it that I actually plan to start building spec houses myself very soon and I think the production environment will be perfect experience. And not too bad a career if spec doesn't pay.

Smalltownguy. Do you know what market she was in?

Thanks all....very helpful info!

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Smalltownguy. Do you know what market she was in?
Baltimore. Schools were her most recent projects. The company is national and diversified. If it comes up during the week and I remember to ask, I'll try to get the name of the outfit (which I've forgotten).

There's nothing wrong with residential either IMO. If your area is on a known upswing track, it may be a wise person that looks to reset and excel in a segment of greatest demand.

It may be different in CA than here in USA, but here - residential builders, even that national ones, suck up and spit`out PMs, CMs, and Supers like peanuts at a beer tent.

EDIT: This is who she is with:http://www.wrallp.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts