Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
top yellow background masthead area: vertically align the three titles. They use different font sizes and will need to have their baselines adjusted to appear centered.

first column: why does it use hyphens for a bulleted list and the third column uses standard bullets? Adjust your left paragraph margins on the hyphenated items so they are consistent with the third column. In this column you type Residential warranty program, inconsistent with what it is called in column three. Adjust the Amwood logo so there is equal whitespace between it and the text above and below.

The second column is centered and not left justified like the rest of the document. Is this intentional? Your statement that a panelized home is no different than a stick home reduces the effectiveness of your following statement. Come out strong and say why you feel a panelized home is better. Don't water down your message. I think there should be a comma after days and not weeks in the last sentence. I would also change 'us the get' to 'us to get' or 'allows us to ensure that your home is'. Watertight is one word.

Third column: first bulleted item should say built. I would add the word 'the' before criteria. Place a period at the end of the sentence. In the last bulleted item I would eliminate the "even in challenging economic times". Why give the reader another chance to reflect on the negative. There is already so much negativity in the news and various media channels. In the last paragraph change the word 'you' to 'your'.

Nice piece. I would work on your general design balancing your white space and run it by a professional designer. I would also think about not wasting the back side of the brochure. You could go 4/1 with the printer and perhaps save on ink costs.

This is much better than anything I could come up with. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I guess what I notice the most- is the amount of space you have devoted to pictures of cattle sheds and corn cribs.
AND- the pictures are taken at a remarkably un-attractive time of year.

when I read the rest of the tri-fold--- it's clear what you are trying to do is sell panelized homes.

I admidt I am not familiar with marketing in a rural area----------------

but I would think that people looking to build a home don't want to be thinking in the back of their mind " this guy has more experience building corn cribs than he has building my dream home"

If it was me- I would have 2 different tri-folds- one for the Ag. Market and one for the residential market.

I sympathies with your situation. Personally we need one set of market Lit. for ceramic tile roof restoration-and one set for slate and copper work-- but what we actually have is a combo. It's a problem because the best projects don't always yield the best photos....
stephen

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow
Thanks for such detailed responses
I am terrible about taking pictures.
I have trying to get better about taking them of the nicer projects.
I am trying to "push" new homes more since I want to get back into that.
I like the idea of having two separate ones as you said. I'll have to try to get more pics taken for that one.
I was going to get these made for some home shows.
Thought it might be better then just giving them a business card.
I through it together last night. I only spent a couple hours on them.
Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I like it, in the masthead I would suggest using a single font size. The only other thing I would suggest is move your Lic # to the bottom of the page, most people wont care what your lic # is.

As far as a trade show goes, much rather get a brochure then a business card, helps me remember what you had/did that interested me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Typos:

.. is no different than a ...
... was built by ....
... no time is better than now ...

If you put a heading - "Agricultural Buildings" - in front of the barns 'n stuff the transition won't be as jarring: instead of 'why should I buy a custom home from a barn builder?', maybe the response will be, "OK, he has another line of business, too."

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
PC why did you change your post?
I saw it last night and it was much longer.

I like the yellow/black combo and get a lot of people who really like. I think the contrast really grabs your eyes. If yellow doesn't belong in construction then I don't know what does!

I'm not to worried about barns and homes being together. 80% of the people I work for are farmers. Around here you are almost expected to know how to do everything.

Before I went out on my own 6 years ago the man I worked for did the same thing. We did 3-5 new homes a year along with all the ag stuff. May not work in other areas but it seems expected around here.

One thing I know I need to do is get some better pictures of things I work on. Thought about going to get some now but like others have said its not a great time if year for pictures. I suppose I could do like some I have seem and just get pics from Google but that's not what I want to to.
I would rather have a not so great pic of my work rather then a wonder pic of someone else's.

·
Registered
Custom
13,967 Posts
The black is too distracting for the piece... it should be used as accent not main body... it is the first thing you notice and that's not the goal...

Folks 40 and over would struggle to read yellow text on black... especially Times Roman or similar...

Additionally, the blue logo gets lost in the black background...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts