Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a concrete cutting chain saw, I am wondering who here is using one, and what to look for.

I need to cut through 12" thick poured concrete foundation walls, each job requires approximately 12 linear feet to cut. How long should this take, and how any of these could I do per chain before needing replacment?

I have a demo saw and can use that to precut as much as I can to save chain life, and speed up the cut time for the chainsaw, any other tips?

Does anyone own their own chain, and rent the machine?

Thank you

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Look for a rental shop that carries it, chain life is not great on them and very expensive.

I own one, I only bought it because the job itself paid for the tool and a few chains and a replacement bar.

If your quick cut can't do the job is recommend hiring out to someone with a wall saw...unless of course you can get a couple grand buried in the job to cover the cost of the saw and it's needed replacement parts.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Oh ya and if you want to buy a wall saw they run between 50-80k so unless you have daily work for it, that's a few shackles to dole out

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just posted about my concrete saw in another thread in the Concrete subforum, but I originally bought it 10 years ago or so after renting one cast about $400 with the chain wear. I'm pretty sure I bought the saw with bar and chain for about 4 times that.

As for 12 lineal feet of 12" foundation wall, I'd guess about an hour to 1.5, as long as you pre-cut the line with a hand held saw. If you can get your hands on a "fat blade" that's as thick or thicker than the chain (about .220") it will speed up your cutting because it won't pinch the chain as easily. Obviously, the straighter the initial cut and the less rebar, the faster it will saw as well.

If you're potentially doing 5 jobs like this a year, you can justify the ~$2000 investment IMO........

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Pearce Services said:
3-5 jobs a year, so that is a bit much, I wouldnt even want the maintenance on one of those. Have you used yours to cut foundation walls?
About every 3rd to 4th job someone decides to add a window...usually a day or two after we pour

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oh ya and if you want to buy a wall saw they run between 50-80k so unless you have daily work for it, that's a few shackles to dole out
That must be one fancy saw I thought the husky's were around 25k.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Inner10 said:
That must be one fancy saw I thought the husky's were around 25k.
Check it out next time your in the Hilti store, it's the only tool they will give you 4 equal payments on, whereas everything else is net 30

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Check it out next time your in the Hilti store, it's the only tool they will give you 4 equal payments on, whereas everything else is net 30
They don't stock it in Ottawa, I didn't even know they had one to be honest.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts