Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How 'bout weighing in on this please. I really appreciate your input.

First some background:
I've been working on a 'cost plus a fee' basis job for the last five weeks. When I was awarded the job it was very reasonable to think it'd take 8 - 10 weeks to finish.
A week after I was awarded the job I was offered another contract by a different customer. I told the customer I'd be busy for about eight weeks but could do the job then if they wanted. They agreed.
Unforeseen conditions have lead to the issuance of Change Orders on the job I'm working. The Change Orders have added at least two weeks to the schedule. I'm going to give notice to the customer that's waiting (my contract stipulates that 'performance is contingent upon the availability of my forces") of the delays I'm experiencing.

Now for the rub: I got a call from a prior customer that is experiencing some problems that will likely turn out to be at least partially related to work that I did. These problems, while not particularly critical or complex, might require as much as a weeks worth of work to resolve.

I have a reliable sub-contractor that can do the remedial work for me at a price that is modestly higher than the hard cost I'd incur by doing it myself. Should I sub out the remedial work, so as to start the new job as early as possible, or put off the new job further so as to do the remedial work myself?

Both the new job and the one that need's fixin' are with good, high volume, customers.

Thank you.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I am drawing a blank.

I will think on this further.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys. I hit the send button before I finished the post and the rough draft really looked stupid so I cut the text and posted the short message. Thanks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How long would the pending job take? Would it be possible to do that one on time( or a little later than expected, then go back to the first job? Telling the first job that you have a schedule to keep and this was beyond your control and at no fault of your own.

I'm just shooting at the breeze as this hasn't happened to me before.

Don

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don Benham said:
How long would the pending job take? Would it be possible to do that one on time( or a little later than expected, then go back to the first job? Telling the first job that you have a schedule to keep and this was beyond your control and at no fault of your own.

I'm just shooting at the breeze as this hasn't happened to me before.

Don
The pending job is a 4 - 6 week endeavor. The remedial work'll need to be done long before it's over. Thanks for giving it some thought Don.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I figured as much. I just didn't want to be a third person saying I don't know. :)

Don

·
Registered
156 Posts
PHP:
I have a reliable sub-contractor that can do the remedial work for me at a price that is modestly higher than the hard cost I'd incur
If you could absorb some of the higher cost in your extra's, hire the sub and still start the waiting job on time or not 3 or 4 weeks late. You also have to weigh that if making them wait do you take the chance of loosing the waiting job? If the money makes sence you might have to eat some of the cost to keep everyone happy.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Sounds like you bit off more than you can chew there Pipe. Thats the point I'd be thinking about taking on 'GOOD' help and some ads to keep them on.

"If all else fails, expand" quote from Glass Bob, just now.

Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
magnum said:
You also have to weigh that if making them wait do you take the chance of loosing the waiting job? If the money makes sence you might have to eat some of the cost to keep everyone happy.
I had something similar happen to me and did it that way. I lost a little money at the job I was on, but both clients were happy and it saved me from doing a bunch of juggling and traveling between both jobs.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
I'd be thinking about taking on 'GOOD' help and some ads to keep them on.
Bob, the guys that work with me are as good as they get - wouldn't trade any of them. In underground work it's a fact of life - when you dig and backfill tens of thousands of cubic yards of trenches, you get a couple spots that settle from time to time. On fast track jobs, when paving goes down virtually the day after the pipe goes in, a little settlement can turn in to a real nuisance. Fixin' it is just another part of the gig.
Growth isn't part of the plan for now and I'm not one to try and carry 10# of sh*t in a good 5# bag.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When it comes to remedial work, I am there as much as I can be.
Who signed the contract? Me. Who is responsible? Me.
I bring in the A team and personally ensure that whatever is up to snuff.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're comfortable with the quality of the sub on the remedial work and feel confident that they aren't going to get you sideways with your customer, I'd vote to let them do it and absorb the difference in cost.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I would do the fix-up work first and then the new work - if after talking to the new work customer I felt confident that putting them off the additional time wasn't going to be a problem.

I would pay a sub if after talking again to the new work customer that I got the idea that putting them off a week wasn't a good idea.

My choices would be based totally on how the new customer would react and would have nothing to do with what I thought was right or wrong in regard to getting a problem fixed quickly.

However if I did choose to do the new work first, with no exception I would not take on any new work after this job before addressing the fix first.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks one and all. I appreciate the thought and input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Work with the guys in your area. You know who your goto guys are, that wont stiff ya use them and return the favor someday. Don't LOSE the customer.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ok I am coming in at the middle and didn't read all the replies. Really I see no dilema here.

Can you sub work with little or no supervision? Can your existing crew work without you being there? If you answered yes to both questions, you don't have a problem.

Your guys finish the job they are on. You hire the sub to first fix that repair you spoke of then second start that other job you won't have time for your guys to start.

Your job then becomes that of field supervisor. You setup your guys in the morning make sure they have what they need blah blah blah. Then you call your sub and ask how it's going and start driving over to your sub and inspect his work.

Welcome to my life now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nate,
I have another option for Pipe, but if it sounds too much like an ad - feel free to edit/delete it.

Pipe,
What you might consider is contacting a local temp trade staffing service. It's not a permanent solution but you may be able to get more help from them for a couple days, week or whatever to take the edge off until things get to normal. I'm not talking about a day labor type place but a place that sends out actual skilled tradesmen. I know I don't operate in your area but I might be able to refer you to another company that does if you can tell me what city you're in.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts