Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 5316 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Jambalaya, baked stuffed shrimp, Yorkshire pudding, yeah I love to cook.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I cook every night and don't eat out. My food tastes better to me than restaurant food, and is much healthier and cheaper. But it's simple stuff, no wrapping or mixing up ingredients. Olive oil coated chicken breast, breaded and thrown in the over for 45 minutes is about as elaborate as I get.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Retirement breeds boredom. I hated dealing with employees, but should have bought a mini ex to occupy my time now.

Never, ever cooked until last year, and finding I love it. Made this last night. wife is pretty critical of what I do, but raved about this.

Pound chicken breasts half inch thick, mix up fresh spinach leaves, garlic, onion, sour cream, pepper black cheese and wrap up in chicken breasts, wrap that with bacon, bake for 45 minutes.

I know I'm my own critic here, but damn it was good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Got any leftovers? That sounds good

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I consider myself a pretty respectable cook. Good cooking doesn't come from the wow factor, it comes from basic fundamentals of cooking which is knowing how to regulate time, temperature and salt.

If you want a no-brainer meal that will sure to impress look to braising. Take any old piece of meat, sear it off so it's nice and dark, brown tomatoes paste then add whatever liquid you have and whatever veg you have. Bake or boil until both are tender.
I cant see myself boiling beef.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've had ribs and pot roast. Ribs grilled or smoked, pot roast cooked in a pot, but not boiled. My wife likes roast boiled but I don't, too stringy
It makes little difference if it's in a dutch oven ontop the stove or in the same vessel in the oven.

My Italian grandmother was a big proponent of stove top braising. Come over for Christmas dinner and you will get a turkey cooked atop the stove.

Reactions: Robie

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
It makes little difference if it's in a dutch oven ontop the stove or in the same vessel in the oven.

My Italian grandmother was a big proponent of stove top braising. Come over for Christmas dinner and you will get a turkey cooked atop the stove.
My Czech grandmother was a big proponent of cooking over a wood pit. Christmas dinner usually was sausage and/or steak. With plenty of poppy seed kolaches for dessert.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

We've been making pizzas at home a lot. My girlfriend started baking bread and has been making some awesome pizza dough. I've been re living my high school days and tossing pies in the kitchen at home. A pizza stone and a convection oven at 550 works great. Put the stone in the bottom rack so it gets real hot from the burners, and the fan blows hot air over the top to get it nice and bubbly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I love to cook

actually I like to make things, furniture, houses, food

Spent most of a year in Provence, working on a farm house and cooking, really got into French food--country French food.

I love French cooking. I made a really nice venison cassoulet earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 5316 Posts