Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and no references since 2007/2008. Anybody using them?

I plan to go to their store after the holidays but would greatly appreciate any information (good or bad) about them. On paper they seem to have a great setup but would like to know what experience others have had with their local franchise.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I did a search and no references since 2007/2008. Anybody using them?

I plan to go to their store after the holidays but would greatly appreciate any information (good or bad) about them. On paper they seem to have a great setup but would like to know what experience others have had with their local franchise.
I have used them on my commercial jobs as well as some of my residential jobs, they are a broker for a bunch of flooring wholesalers, sometimes you can find it a little cheaper elsewhere but not worth the effort.

I don't buy pad, glue or setting materials from them, I buy those direct as there is no need to buy stuff like that from prosource.

They have a great showroom and the sales people are usually very good an will do what hey can to help you out.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
They are good if you need a place to sleep as they give you an electronic key in order to get in the showroom 24/7..;)..Unless you are doing volume, the cost isn't worth it.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
The showroom is one of the best things about them, they are nice, big and clean, you can send a client there and not worry about the salesman trying to poach the job like other tile stores, it is noce to be able to have a client go there and talk to the salesperson get samples etc. and since they don't sell direct to the public, they don't try and steal your clients.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you are doing volume, the cost isn't worth it.
How much are they charging? In speaking with the rep the other day, he stated the fee was $25 per year. Do they have hidden fees that they try to slip in on you?

Thanks for the info Bwalley. The showroom was one of the things that caught my attention.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
How much are they charging? In speaking with the rep the other day, he stated the fee was $25 per year. Do they have hidden fees that they try to slip in on you?

Thanks for the info Bwalley. The showroom was one of the things that caught my attention.
I paid a one time fee, plus a fee for a card that gives me 24 hour access to the showroom, I thought I would have been getting an annual bill but I never have.

They quote you a price on the flooring, there will be freight on it, but on small orders they will try to combine it with another order if they can, they don't nickle and dime you, they give you a quote and that includes freight, tax, everything you will pay, so you know exactly what it will cost before you place the order.

They are a very proffesional organization, that is well run, the stores are clean and they don't try and poach your clients like other flooring places do.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

I joined once years ago...I don't remember the particulars.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
The showroom is one of the best things about them, they are nice, big and clean, you can send a client there and not worry about the salesman trying to poach the job like other tile stores, it is noce to be able to have a client go there and talk to the salesperson get samples etc. and since they don't sell direct to the public, they don't try and steal your clients.

That was not my experience here in Austin!!

One of my long time very good clients told me they tried to poach another installation company to him. "I know a guy that will do this for you cheaper"
Another good client, the day I go get the samples from him at his business, a guy walks in and cold sells him on some carpet, "I understand your in need of some carpet" I have always done business with him and did all his other businesses. He said I was the only one he contacted and would go with. The lady at prosource gave some installation company my clients information. He said that is all it could be.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pro Source

Pro Source is a chain with a nice business model. They supposedly work only with the trade, have the 24 hour key card, etc. Reality is they mark up the "regular" price a huge amount, then give contractors a "discount" so you feel you are getting a great deal and you can show your clients the "regular price."

You can get the same price at about any other good flooring store in your area. Pro Source usually has knowledgeable people (like other good stores), but usually won't come measure unless you are a significant client. Thus, mistakes on measuring are on you unless you do a lot of business with them.

Terms are usually cash in advance (100%), and you are expected to pick up from their warehouse within a few days of the material coming in. They do not install, but probably will refer you to someone. The quality of who they refer you to may vary greatly, but all installation issues are on you.

If you have a good store in your area you will probably get the same pricing (sometimes better, every now and then not quite as good, but on the whole the same). But a full service store should measure for you (we do). And we will hold material in our warehouse for some time if you run into delays and aren't ready for it. Most stores will, though over 60 days you might ought to discuss a small storage fee. And we, like most full service stores, will install and take responsibility for that. Many stores will require only a deposit instead of 100% up front. (We do 50% deposit, balance on completion if we install or when you pick up if we don't install.)

Overall, Pro Source is a nice store for material only, which is the easy side of this business, but don't think you are getting a better deal than you would with most other stores. And if you need a little hand holding and help in installs you may be better off using a full service store. But they can be convenient and may carry some brands other stores don't.

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
I've been with them for over a year now, a very good designer friend is also one of their spokespeople.

Clean, big show room. Knowledgeable and helpful salespeople that take good care of you. Overall.

In Toronto, they no longer do the 24/7 access.

They are not the cheapest. What others say above is correct, they mark it up then give you a discount. I believe it's 50% on carpets, and 30% on tiles/hardwood. I think that's most items, if not all.

The upshot is, you have the option to either give your client the full discount, a partial discount, or no discount.

You call in, set up a time and let them know your client will be dropping by or you go with them. They walk you through the selection, answer questions, and the clients can see the sticker price on the material.

I have never personally made any profit off my clients. Not yet anyways. I like the idea that the client is taken care of, whether I'm there or not. Then, when they learn that I'm extending my full discount to them, they are very pleased.

With the full discount, their prices are competitive. And for the uninformed client, it wins me a good amount of credibility to boot. Meaning, they could have probably got the same material somewhere else for the same price, but they feel they got a discount and that always makes people happy.

They only sell the material, and I've found that they want nothing to do with you after they have sold it. If you call with some questions and they don't see money in it their attitude changes pretty quick. That's the difference I've found with them vs other companies that will take the time to help you out over the phone as a loyal customer. I.E., I called them after one hardwood install to see if they know where I could buy some wax sticks to match the flooring I bought from them and never got a call back after 3 messages. Mind you, I didn't purchase 20000 sq/ft of material, but I still bring them business on the reg.

All in all, I like them, it's a one time $20/$25 annual fee. You can sign out material to show your client all you want. Overall, I like them. The biggest upshot is the credibility with clients when they get the full discount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ProSource is nothing but a middle-man with better prices than most of us because of the volume they sell. They also sell seconds and warehouse buyouts so that they can "Beat any competitors price, anywhere by 10%"

I avoid them unless I need something dirt cheap, I wouldn't trust any of their more expensive products to not be seconds, i.e. the last porcelain tile I bought from ProSource came from DalTile, but was seconds they couldn't sell due to the pits in the tile.

EDIT: And don't -EVER- send a builder to ProSource, they will attempt to steal him, and then smile at you and say sorry. :/

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
You guys must have not gotten the memo. In Ohio we just got a letter a few weeks back that all of them in about 130 mile radius were closing and we could get our money back. Doesn't look good for them as far as future business goes. Be on the lookout for shops closing near you.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
You guys must have not gotten the memo. In Ohio we just got a letter a few weeks back that all of them in about 130 mile radius were closing and we could get our money back. Doesn't look good for them as far as future business goes. Be on the lookout for shops closing near you.
I haven't gotten the memo yet here in west MI. I'm a member but haven't been there for awhile. Personally I don't know how so many flooring distributors stay in business, we've got a ton of them and I never see a car in their parking lots.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hadn't heard

Hadn't heard of any Pro Source closings. Where did you get the info from? Any more particulars, especially time frame for closings?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
They are privately owned store guys. Just because one area may be doing poorly, it has absolutely no bearing on another.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts