Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be better off asking this in landscaping, but we will give it a shot here.

I often find myself in need of a small skid steer, any heavy work I have to do I just rent a machine for, and often there isn't much of it since I typically come behind the excavators anyway.

I do however need to move piles of stone around often and even pallets of material which can weigh around half a ton.

The only mini skidsteer I have had experience with is the Dingo, with a gas motor in it, the attachments were handy but for moving material and any kind of digging it was a complete dog, it had a super low lifting capacity as well, I think it wanted to flip over more often than not.

I see that Bobcat makes a much bigger looking one though, and I really think if I could find a big mini (I know, oxymoron) that it would fill my niche well. Something that won't kill my pickup to haul around, has rent-able attachments and can actually move material without wanting to flip over and kill me.

Are there any machines that fall into the walk behind or ride behind category that could do light grade/digouts and be handy for placing treads or other stuff we don't want to lift by hand? Almost all my work is residential, and I am in backyards more often than not, so I feel like if I could just find the correct sized machine life would be much easier for me.

·
Contractor
7,667 Posts
I have a Bobcat MT52 it's a walk behind tracked machine. It has it's places. I don't know off hand what the lift capacity is but I have demoed concrete walks with it and been surprised when it lifts a pretty darn big slab of concrete.

I just looked up the specs:
Rated lift Capacity 520lbs.
Tipping load 1,600lbs.
Operating weight 2,580lbs.

I've used mine for underpinning work, demolition, moving material, and just plain digging. It's a handy machine on the small jobs.

See post #11 of this link to see some of what it is capable of. We finished the dig with the MT52 in one day, and cleared out the debris with it.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f62/foundation-failure-fun-one-145020/

·
operator
394 Posts
If you like the bobcat brand you could go with a T190. It's a full size tracked skid steer but it's on the small end and it can easily be towed with a pickup. It would be able to handle the pallet sizes you're talking about and it moves dirt much faster than the dingo's and other mini skids.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use a Bobcat S70 all the time. We use it for backfill, and any other task when the T590 won't fit in. Comparing the two machines is like comparing a scooter with an automobile.

When you can't get the T590 (T190 old model) in, it does you no good that the bigger machine can move more dirt faster. When you have 48" of access and can backfill an addition in an hour or two with an S70, you look like a hero.

I load triaxle dump trucks with my S70 all the time. I have a custom build fold down ramp (about 20" high) that I put on the driveway, when I run the S70 up the ramp I can easily load a triaxle dump truck with an 8 ft side. On a good day I can run about 100 cubic yards of dirt out of a backyard and load it into the truck with this setup.

I'm on my fourth machine in this class. The first two were New Holland LS125, then I switched to the Bobcat 463 / S70. I have accumulated about 9000 hours on these machines.

The tracked, walk behind units are a completely different animal. They have their niche, but for moving dirt are super slow. Besides, standing or walking behind one really sucks after a couple hours. I prefer to sit.

Pete

·
Registered
216 Posts
to the op I wonder what model you used before as dingo has wheeled units with small gas motors and large tracked units with big gas and diesel motors that have decent specs. We have a 425 wide track gas dingo and a ditch witch sk650 diesel turbo unit (32hp) We like the dingo for day to day work in backyards because the controls are a simple well thought out layout to use. The SK650 on the other hand takes some getting used to on the controls but it can lift more weight , higher and faster for all power operations. Vermeer now has a new big unit and Ditch witch has a new bigger unit also.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a gas dingo and although the attachments were handy it was a dog for lots of things, under powered for what it was made for it seemed. The tracked model.

I was eyeballing the vermeer units and they seem pretty handy as well. My problem is I really need to own both, but it sucks when only one at a time can make me money. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons between getting a skidsteer and beating harder on my truck towing it, or a walk behind unit that probably won't even phase the truck.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have often thought about a smaller skid steer for backyards. I think I would put turf tires on it to save the grass.
The main reason for always holding back was #1 price, because it seems like a waste to spend that kind of money when I can get a bigger one for not much more, and #2, the digging power. Although I wouldn't be digging the crawlspace on an addition, the ones I have witnessed seemed really low on power.
Always a trade off though.
I haven't considered the walk behind units. They might be handy for small projects, occasionally. I can't see myself using one very much.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been reading up on the Ditch witch SK650 and SK755 and I really want to demo one.

The nearest dealer is about 3 hours away though. Apparently they are a power house for their size and the dump height is pretty impressive.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
sitdwnandhngon,

I have a S185 and it can be towed by a half ton, but not far or for very long. With trailer and an attachment or 2 on the trailer its easily at 10k. The S185 with fuel and bucket is 8,000lbs alone.

I orginally towed it with my Dodge 1/2 Hemi with chip, catback exhaust and KN air kit, was over 400hp and it struggled a bit, gearing maybe?

I love the S185, a tracked machine is quite a bit heavier and higher maintenence costs FYI. I take it just about every concrete site, am suprised at what I can quickly do with the machine. For smaller jobs I just rent a small stand up machine, they are cheap to rent and usually the place I go through only goes by hours used (with in reason, cant have 3 weeks, put 6 hours on and expect 1 day rate) and they are more then fair.

I had rented skid steers before but found most were beat to chit and I treat mine good. I like owning a mid-sized machine and renting the smaller if needed.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
I just bought a 755. It has GREAT power for its size and is FAST. One of the last ones. Discontinued because of something about Emissions and Obama. They still make the 750. No turbo though.
Don't use it near as much as our skid steers but when we need it we need it.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought a 755. It has GREAT power for its size and is FAST. One of the last ones. Discontinued because of something about Emissions and Obama. They still make the 750. No turbo though.
Don't use it near as much as our skid steers but when we need it we need it.
Well that sucks, I was looking pretty hard at them.

Is the 750 comparable you think?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 755 with turbo was overweight and needed the turbo, the 750 is way overweight and why 650's are selling strong in the used market. The over weight of the dw 755 helped up it's lifting capacity over the 650 specs. And the 750 and 755 have cheap tracks stock, like 200 hours people are getting. But some sk650's had bad radiators from the factory and the kubota would blow cracks in the head real quick when they got hot so that is something to watch for on sk-650's, pull the back cover and see if there is mass dirt built up in the radiator fins. You want to avoid first year sk650's for that reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts