Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been going through Google and have'nt found anything I can really use yet. have been considering using steel in the future for basement remodels or any other projects, but would like some good tips, reading, pictures!! so hoping maybe some of you have some links that could point me in the right direction.

Right now around here steel studs are very expensive almost $4/stud, so not looking at using in a big project at this time, but once prices get back within reason would like to start incorporating it.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I thought this search "steel, framing, residential, specifications" produced some good stuff

·
Registered
318 Posts
http://www.contractortalk.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=13191

Need to have about half a dozen cuts on each finger when you type. Then you get a clear picture of steel stud framing.... ;)

Seriously - check out Metal Con http://www.metalcon.com/. They're a yearly metal/steel construction trade show (biggest in the country, so says their advertising) and will have plenty of links to great stuff on steel stud framing. If you ever get to go to Metal Con you can also sign up to receive a free sample of their magazine and they'll send you a monthly subscription for all eternity. Tons of info and pretty pictures in there.

Tim

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help thus far and links. I've just about given up trying to find anything online which I'm looking for, all the info that seems to be leading me in the right direction pulls you when reading and then leaves you hanging. Right now just looking for even an idiot's guide for a general idea. LOL.

Basic stuff (mainly pertainging to basement remodels) like attaching sill plate, do you screw the studs on both sides or just the front side when attaching to the plates. Must you use adhesive when applying drywall, do you need to install blocks along the bottom for installing base moulding, all kinds of little things....Assuming you need to incorporate 2x4's somehow into the door jambs so you actually have something to fasten to doors/trim to. I sub out the electric/plumbing and my guys have delt with steel before so I'm not worried about them. A few guys have told me "it's easy", "cant believe your not using it", etc...but right now prices so high it's just not economical for what I want to use them for. Think they'd also be great for framing interior walls in garages/shops we do too. LOL, now that your mention it, I did read one article that stated unless your a "pro" you should wear some kind of glove when handling this material. So apparently "pro" hands are tougher than "amature hands":)

I'm still waiting for the racing schedule to come out for the tri-state area and hopefully racing/business scheduling would allow a trip out east to attend that show, but I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Metal Con

Let me know if you make it this way. My new gig allows me to buy lunch for contractors and expense it to someone else's wallet :Thumbs: (who doesn't know about this forum yet....lol). I'll make sure you get to right pizza place.

Tim

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered it, thanks!! Hopefully it's got sum good pictures cuz I aints no good at readun:)

Hold on to your hats boys, looks like we got a doozey of a snow storm headin our way!!! They're predicting 12" total for our area so with my experience in the plowing business-that translates into a dusting at most!! Hope we get it, been waiting for that money to start falling from the sky all winter now!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Where's Boardslinger? This is right up his alley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts