Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
worked as a super for 6mo im thinking about geting a gc lic in fl. does anyone know what it takes as far as exp.?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
5 yrs. of supervisory experience under a GC +++++

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I wish I lived in a state that had contractor exams. I think there would be less hacks.
For you guys that live in these states. Is there better quality and craftsmanship? How about the insurance rate is it lower. In WA subs in a tract need 1 mil 2 mil which to start is $10,000. That is only for owner/operator and one other guy. And about $500 to 1000 for each additional guy that earns 10,000 dollars pay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
huh, is Fla one of the harder states? all I had to do was get insurance and pay about $100 for the license. I live in Wa

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I can get the insurance but the tract insurance is out of my league right now. I can get 1 mil coverage for about $2000 dollars a year which covers the business for up to a 8 house tract or a six unit apartment.
I started a business on a shoestring once and I'll never do it again. Anybody with the money can be a contractor in WA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in a state where you can take your contractors exam.
Theirs companys that teach classes for taking the exam. ( usually helps if you know something about construction)
Classes cost 200-300.00
For a 100.00 you get to take the state test.
If you pass then you get to pay the state to have a licence 200.00
Of course you have to have insurance about 2000.00 a year
Then every year for the rest of your life in order to keep your licence you have to have re-ocurring eduaction 8hr which cost you 100.00
Then the cycle start all over again for the next year
All of which doesn't guarantee you @$$#$ for jobs
Over a third fail the business in the first 3years and it decrease each year after that.

Love the job!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts