Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Full Service Renovations
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building some built-in base cabinets for the lobby of a condo building. Two sets ...... one going on each side of the lobby. Cabinets will be paint grade approx. 103" wide. Each side will have a arborite counter top with a maple front edging. The condo board has asked that I install 2 slots in the counter top (one on each end)of one of the counter tops for trash and recyclables where we will have a garbage can under each slot.... size of slot to be approx. 4"x12". I can not find any gromets around that size to use as an insert to hide the cut edges. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could be used to these openings.

Also on the other side of the lobby for the second bank of cabinets they have requested a tamper proof mail slot to be installed in the counter top. I thought for sure I had seen these at Lee Valley but looking through my books I can not find them... any ideas where these might be available?

Cheers and Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you can not find any could you get a metal worker to make some?
Or if counters are not made yet you could cut slots, arborite the edges put on the top arborite and route out the slots. Although I may worry that if it ever delaminates it may cut someone if they put their hand in.
What about a maple trim detail?

Just some random thoughts.

·
4,617 Posts
Check around for a hawse pipe rings and spigots. These are marine hardware items and if you have a salvage yard in your area, you can get used ones pretty cheaply. They make them in round and in oval configurations.

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
post your find for 'grommets'. I had researched for SS rings for trash on corian counters, but they were between $150-$200 :-(

·
Full Service Renovations
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts