Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting set up
a good relationship with Commercial or Residential Property management
Companies? I thought of doing a direct mailing with incentives?
Sound good? :001_unsure:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most of them have existing relationships so you need to be creative in your approach. Cash is king. Convince them you will do it better, quicker and cheaper and you are in.

Best of luck!

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting set up
a good relationship with Commercial or Residential Property management
Companies? I thought of doing a direct mailing with incentives?
Sound good? :001_unsure:
Most of them have existing relationships so you need to be creative in your approach. Cash is king. Convince them you will do it better, quicker and cheaper and you are in.

Best of luck!
Been there done that, for a company that over saw 75 property's.
Always something to do but, too much bs for not enough Benjamen's.

It was cutting into bigger and better things I had going on.
Most want the bottom feeder contractor that will work for less than you can get paid at McD's.

·
Banned
306 Posts
I'm with Warner.

Property Management, Insurance Agents, Friends and Family... and many more.

Great way to get started and get off the couch, but none of the above pays well in the long run. Insurance work may be OK if you specialize in it, but when your starting out they are gonna expect you to be cheap.

On the residential side, I don't believe in canvassing. But if you want Property Managers I'm willing to bet that introducing yourself, leaving a card and maybe a brochure stating what your services are, would be a good idea. Expect some rejection and a slightly bruised ego, but Its probably the best way to get acquainted with some of them.

Do the work cheap, but do a good job regardless. You'll be paying your dues at first. Once your reputation gets known, and word of mouth starts paying off, raise your rates. I started out working for wages that I made working as a sub, as I got busier, I started adding in profit. (then raised my wages, and added in even more profit.... :w00t:)

((then realized all my profits where getting spent on tools anyhow :cry:))

Also move towards going legal, as soon as you can. If your completely legal, you can compete for better paying work. Under the table stuff may pay a faster buck, but It'll be small bucks from people exploiting you.

I read your intro, so I know your an experienced painter starting out on your own business. Good luck... but don't plan on it paying off too soon. The business end is going to eat a lot of your wages for awhile.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do a fair amount of work for a local Property Management company that has some high profile accounts, and when his phone rings, he needs guys he can rely on to get things done efficiently, and make him look good.

The money is just OK, but the volume is there. I make money on jobs I bid fixed price, the t&M stuff is not great.

Find a facility, ask who is responsible for maintenance, contact them, and tell them who you are, and what you offer, is the only real way to get it going, you will need to be patient, but when all the regulars are busy, and they try you out you should be in, as long as you keep you commitments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Exactly, if they are keeping you busy at times when you are normally hoping the phone will ring, its a way to go.

Making 20% profit on a job when you had zero chance to make money otherwise is better than 100% of nothing, right?

You have to make up for the smaller margins with volume. So you need to make sure they are going to send ALL the work your way or you will end up passing on higher paying jobs.

·
www.magicpoolservices.com
831 Posts
Get a box of donuts and tape your business card to it.
Hand it to the secretary.

Ask for her card.

Most likely she will not have one.

Small talk about how she needs to get a card.

Ask her " Who around her makes the decision that you get business cards " in a joking way.

1. Made friends with secretary
2. Just got the name of the decision maker.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The gatekeeper doesnt have to be your friend, but you should be friendly with them at all time. Remember, they have the keys to the kingdom and decide who gets in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
follow-up. They have contractors begging for work all day every day but very few come back week in week out. It may annoy them but persistence is appreciated by most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts