Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get probably 5-6 calls a year to fix walls just like this one, I have never rebuild one mostly because the home owner won't pay for a rebuild which is what I would propose, just just want the ol grind and point method, I walk away at that stage cause it will never fix the cracking.
Any one have any idea days to why this is happening,
Common factors, alway new subdivisions (5 years or less)
Always precast stone, Indiana limestone I thinks.
This one has a flat roof 1'6" from the top of the copping stone, some have peaked roofs,

Property Home Building Brickwork Architecture

Would anyone suggest installing steel lintels and doing away with the arch?

Thanks for any advice as always.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm guessing you have some cracking? Hard to tell how badly without a closeup......you don't have a lot of support for the thrust of that arch it would seem to me, but that must have had some consideration beforehand.......??? That seems like an awful lot of weight for a couple of 16" abutments.....

While I think the house is god awful ugly, that (equally ugly) arch is an architectural focal point, and whoever owns it may be reluctant to swap it out.......It looks like it's a usable balcony, are there any scuppers, or some other method for water to escape? Just spitballin'........

OK, looking at it again, maybe those are 2' or so..........is that full sized veneer, or applied thin stone?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just my .02,I agree with both Rock and Tscar. Definitely nowhere enough abutment to resist the arch thrust. And as Tscar added,possibly a touch of shrinkage adding to the problem.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just to be snippy,that design looks like a mattress balanced on a bottle of wine. :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Agreed with above. Not enough mass to counter the thrust of the arch.

I'd bet that material is from Shouldice though not Oldcastle. Not sure if oldcastle is available here...I've never seen it anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts