Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got asked to bid on this project, we are gonna lift the tile and the h.o wants a non slip product put down over the slab, ( not sure what but "like a paint") just wondering if any one has ideas of how to smooth out the concrete, whatever is applied will be the final product so it's gotta be smooth,
Here is a pic of the current and very sloppy landing and steps

image-763969466.jpg

Thanks in advance.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Wow. That sounds like a project that was designed by a homeowner for sure. This has lose your a$$ all over it.

After you spend a week removing the railings, building temp supports for the awning, and doing the brick demo plan on another week grinding the slab. You could rent a shotblaster or larger concrete grinder and then use a diamond cup on a grinder to edge the perimeter. The steps and corners will be their own special little challenge. Then one day to prime and paint with 80$ worth of oil paint.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
many ways to go about this, most waterproofing bi-component products can be left unfinished and are smooth, as with many mortar screed products,
look for industrial products, ex. flowcrete, or simular.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I love it when people call me to bid on the worst job ever imaginable. Oh shucks thanks for the chance to type up a proposal in the hopes of doing your job that may put me into a mental institution. ...
I hear you, but bidding worst jobs and knowing what you doing its not so bad, as a matter a fact they're always profitable because nobody wants to bother... and the best part, when you start doing them, some are not as bad as it sounds, because you ready for the worst.

Now when I'm asked to bid on something I never done, or have no clue about, now bidding on something like this is job of its own... so I just be frank about it and say call someone else who is specializing in this field :thumbsup:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Ripping out that tile isn't that bad...fixing underneath to look good is the challenge.

Try and sell them on jewelstone and resurface that way

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
you can put down a textured epoxy modified acrylic coating, but it's still going take lots of grinding and prep work regardless.

·
Registered
69 Posts
remove the brick. grind the concrete below, drill some holes to put rebar and pour a top coating with bonding agent overlay. The rebar will help prevent the new slab from slipping or sliding off center.

The idea of using an epoxy overlay is probably the best idea, there is a ton of finishing options out there, things you could add in to help prevent it from becoming extremely slippery when its wet.

Goodluck! and don't forget to show us your work if you end up taking the job on!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
This is one of those jobs where "what is your budget" should be the first question out of your mouth...
Mine would be something along the lines of "Holy crap, that is going to cost a lot"

I wasted a morning last year going to look at a job like that. It was thin stone glued to a concrete porch and steps, the slab had sunk terrible though and they wanted it stripped and overlayed.

I submitted my worst case scenario price, it was massive.

Never heard a word from them, I feel bad for the poor bastard that came in low on that one.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spoke to h.o and give him my concerns over his idea, suggested removing tile, and reface with a banas stone. He will run it by the boss (wife) and see how it goes, sounded keen and not put of by price. Will keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts