·
Registered
818 Posts
Ask the guy at home depot.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Toronto-Painter said:
If you think you have a good idea about house painting ( interior) color trends for 2014, please share it here. Actually I need to have some more idea about Master bedroom Painting. Or if you can tell me where can I find the most popular ones. Thanks
You didn't just ask that did you? I think it will be Swiss Coffee and Navajo White.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Compared to other site issues, I'll bet more time has been wasted with people arguing about paint colors than anything else...:whistling

Then next on the repaint after the color didn't look like the sample...

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
I have found when it comes to colors it's very opinionated, when people pick out deck colors some of the stuff people choose is just hideous. I have learned to semi keep my mouth shut. Sometimes you run the risk of insulting them. Especially when you have a customer that thinks their strong points are design. :eek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Okay, since I'm a designer as well as a GC I can tell you that "greige" is all the rage. Greige includes colors that are a cross between grey and beige. So warm greys. Try SW Perfect Griege or Ben Moore Hazy Skies or smoky taupe.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Wow guys, why all the ridicule? It's a valid question. Like "pastel" doesn't immediately conjure up a time period in color fashion?

Unfortunately, I have less color sense than a mule, so can't really give direct input to the question.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Almost as bad as teal...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I am asked all the time about color selections. I use to try and give input and always regretted it, because color is a personal choice.

Now when I am asked I usually verify that their color choice will be fine. Sometimes I encourage people to go with the bolder / darker choice when they are unsure.

What I do not do is think I am an interior designer, when people want help in this area I direct them to the local SW who has a manager who is great in this field, she will even come to their home and help them.

Once in a blue moon I will be asked to paint an empty home and the owner will just say something neutral, in those situations I have standard go to colors I use.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Well, there's Resale Builder Babypoop Beige for those trying to depersonalize a space. It's better than Barbie Pink if you're trying to sell, for sure. But not everyone is living in fear of resale any more. The down market turned a lot of people into nesters rather than property ladder climbers.

The trend has been back towards actually using COLOR in a home to personalize it. Gloss paint is coming back, but not enough homeowners understand the amount of work it takes to make that selection actually look good, and that it isn't the paint, it's the prep. And the upcharge for that prep!

One trend that I actually kinda like is a dark ceiling. As in black or dark purple. In these 18' double height foyers, it helps to try to bring it more into a human scale.

"Zen Modern" is a hot design trend that uses color tones and textures found in nature, but in without a lot of adornment and accessorizing. Not surprisingly, natural greens and natural toned woods are big with that look. "Transitional Edwardian" is also big. It's white on white on a different white, with natural woods and greys. A lot of traditional styling cues, but clean lined and maybe accents of blues or turquoise or green. Accent walls are still big, but not so much the bright red or shocking lime green ACCENT. It's more subtle.

The only artisanal paint finishing that I've seen much of recently has been the use of stencils. Not your 1980 Holly Hobby type stencils either. Large scale graphics that can mimic the look of wall paper. Or something like a tone on tone damask look with gloss and matte finishes in the same color.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ohio painter said:
I am asked all the time about color selections. I use to try and give input and always regretted it, because color is a personal choice. Now when I am asked I usually verify that their color choice will be fine. Sometimes I encourage people to go with the bolder / darker choice when they are unsure. What I do not do is think I am an interior designer, when people want help in this area I direct them to the local SW who has a manager who is great in this field, she will even come to their home and help them. Once in a blue moon I will be asked to paint an empty home and the owner will just say something neutral, in those situations I have standard go to colors I use.
I always tell people that I go home to my house with the colors I picked and like. If you like it go with it, your the one living there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts