Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone in the CT community happens to be a HVAC in/around Lima,OH? Dad is likely looking to install a new system. I got the call yesterday looking for recommendations, but I told him I don't think the heat pump systems I am somewhat familiar with is going to cut the mustard up there. So I figured I'd check in and see if we had anyone up there.:thumbsup:

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
CompleteW&D said:
Actually, I like a heat pump with gas back up system. The HP does all the heating (which it's VERY good at down to about 30 degrees) until it gets cold and then the gas furnace takes over.
Depending on the price of gas and electricity there that may or may not be a great option

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Depending on the price of gas and electricity there that may or may not be a great option
I understand.... but with a HP's ability and efficiency at producing heat until it gets really cold, unless electric rates are extraordinarily high, it is a great option and generally much cheaper than natural gas at moderate temperatures.

Plus, IMHO.... it's a lot more comfortable as well. A totally natural gas system will cycle on and off more during moderate temperatures, which reduces efficiency substantially and isn't as comfortable due to the constant cycling.

Then again, if natural gas rates are super low and electric rates are extremely high in that area, then all bets are off.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently it's a straight cool/gas furnace system. Seems like they have such long periods of extreme cold hp system is likely not that beneficial. Then again current system is nearly thirty years old.

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
CompleteW&D said:
Plus, IMHO.... it's a lot more comfortable as well. A totally natural gas system will cycle on and off more during moderate temperatures, which reduces efficiency substantially and isn't as comfortable due to the constant cycling.

Then again, if natural gas rates are super low and electric rates are extremely high in that area, then all bets are off.
You are right it is more comfortable and cycles less but I feel that is more because of the "staging" of the system. If its a two stage or modulating gas furnace it may be just as comfortable. But truly it depends on the conditions, house insulation and ambient temps. Around here gas is super cheap because so much is produced from here. There are not many HPs around but the are great too and they have their time and place.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I see that you are looking out for Pops. I would recommend the 80% 2-stage furnace. If utility bills were a major issue, then, I recommend going the duel fuel route.

My reservations with condensing furnaces is that there can be issues with the condensate, if not maintained on a regular basis, and (opinion) they "age" quicker.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just wondering if anyone in the CT community happens to be a HVAC in/around Lima,OH? Dad is likely looking to install a new system. I got the call yesterday looking for recommendations, but I told him I don't think the heat pump systems I am somewhat familiar with is going to cut the mustard up there. So I figured I'd check in and see if we had anyone up there.:thumbsup:
"The only residential HVAC contractor I know in that area would be All Seasons 419-225-5508.

Since I only do Commercial Work I wouldn't know any other contractor."

Not a glowing recommendation, but it is from a GC we've worked with in Lima.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts