Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for good tips to get a custom mosaic onto a mesh or other layout aid. Does anyone have experience laying some sort of adhesive mesh or paper on top of a mosaic, then picking up the sheet and laying it as with a manufactured mesh mosaic? I'd like to do the layout, get it onto a mesh, then give it to an employee to set on the wall.

Any advice will be appreciated.

- Bob

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
Would it be used in a wet area? If not you could lay a sheet of mesh drywall tape (I have seen 3ft wide rolls) and dab around hot glue to adhere it to the mosaics. Would just have to worry about the height of the glue dabs.

Wet area I'm thinking kedi.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What size mosaic? I've set 1" mosaics onto mesh backing with 3m Super 77(?). I used a grid designed for this purpose to place the mosaic in a regular grid pattern. Place the tile upside down then lightly spray with glue to both materials and press together. Let dry a bit then carefully remove. A few might drop off.

I know a guy that would use a watered down white glue and paper for sticking to the front. He would wash down with hot water to remove paper. I've never tried it so do your own test.

Kerdi sounds like a great idea for backing. Also google mosaic supplies

Btw, it's time consuming. Sure you can't get it al ready made up?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've realized that I can set the tile on a sheet of 1/4" kerdi board, on a shop work table, then place the sheet on the wall as one piece.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
Mike, what exactly is that mesh?
It's Mapei's Mesh for crack suppression, fiberglass of some type I believe, the spacing is about 1/4" and the width is 3.28 ft. X 328' I think it goes for around .35 a ft, you may have to buy a full roll?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
No prob. It could also be the same stuff they put on the back of slabs of marble and coat it with a resin. Though some of it may be nice looking, I usually avoid recommending if a slab of another kind doesn't need it to help hold the fissures together.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I saw someone use clear tape on the face of the mosaic, place it on the wall being very careful of thinset squeeze out. Let it dry then peeled tape off.
I worked pretty well.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Bob, did you do this mosaic?
I did, sort of. It turned into a simple decorative herringbone panel, which l did on 1/4 kerdi board on a table in the shop. Then glued and screwed the panel in place, and added a few edge pieces in place. I'm going to consider using that approach regularly for backsplashes and the like.
I'd add the image but the ct app crashes every time i try to do so.

Edit: well that's funny. 3 images; each time i got a crash message. It's just that herringbone on the face of the tub.

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I've successfully used contact paper rolls a few times. It requires building the mosaic face down, which can be a bit tricky, but gives you a smooth front when installed. Peel off the contact paper with a heat gun to make it easy. I've also laid out mosaics face up and then placed the contact paper over them but it was less reliable, a couple of the pieces moved a little bit. For bigger pieces I don't think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Regarding not the herringbone but the main surround: The sections above and below the band are offset from each other by about 3/16", which really bothers me. I consider it to be a significant screwup by my tile guy, but no one else has noticed or cares about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts