Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me, I've been solely on the sales aspect of home improvements, and am not at all an expert on the installation side.

My question is, are their any decent alternatives to capping windows and other openings with aluminum coil stock? The reason I ask is because I don't particularly like the way it looks most of the time. Some people can definitely do some VERY nice work with it, but Im just curious if their are other alternatives that may look better and still keep everything maintenance free.

I've seen the AZEK trim, and it looks like it would look great, but wouldn't it still leave part of the window sills exposed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
familiar with this kind of capping?

this is on a job I sold, the installer wrapped the coil stock behind itself I believe, I think he called it a pressure bend?

Is this method a good idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep, sorry it was around a window, I have the full picture but that one was cropped. I really appreciate the input though, and that you posted a picture of your capping method.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
this is on a job I sold, the installer wrapped the coil stock behind itself I believe, I think he called it a pressure bend?

Is this method a good idea?
The problem with that, and what oldfrt posted, is if you get a dent in any of that, now you gotta rip off the siding to replace the piece of trim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good point, I never thought of that.

My question still is though, are there any decent alternatives to using coil stock or is that pretty much the only way to go?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
just extends over the siding, there was no J built in.

Just for fun, I attached two pictures of capping that I took from a couple jobs BEFORE they were done.
How is the top piece of cap applied>so water doesn't get behind it?

It looks cheezy to me.It seems it could be pulled out easily and leaves a nice nook for bees and bats.
When the J is built into the cap,the extra bends give it more durability and the lower end of the sides can be addressed so it channels any water out over the siding instead of behind it,where it will cause rot.

In that second picture any water that gets in that J is going behind the siding.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
We just put these in today they had built in 5" brickmould with a sill nose and a crown header

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow, what window mfr makes the windows with those built in? Good to know that you don't suggest using fypon, and I'll have to check that custom trim site out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts