Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a general contractor in Nashville, Tn. I am moving to Dallas will be swapping my license over and am wondering if I am allowed to in Dallas the same things that I am allowed to do in Tennessee. A Tennessee general contractor is allowed to do a the entire building except for the plumbing, electrical and HVAC/ mechanical. Is Texas the same way?

Will I be allowed to dig my foundation, lay the block and frame side and roof the houses in Dallas Texas with a general contractor license?

I really don't like subbing anything I don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
29,290 Posts
Yes to all. State wide as far as I know. Just licensed MEPs here.

Reactions: bluebird5

·
Super Moderator
29,290 Posts
Mechanical (HVAC) Electrical and plumbing. Commercial slang

Forgot Irrigation. Its licensed too. Even for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
29,290 Posts
Thats what I thought. Makes me feel dumb for asking such a thing.
Not at all. Lots of different lingo out there for the same stuff.

·
Super Moderator
29,290 Posts
Hill Country, Highland Lakes.

Central Texas

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
I lived/ framed in the metroplex (Dallas, fort worth, Arlington) it was some of the most fun I've had In my career. Pretty competitive though- I was framing high end homes in gated community's- freakin loved it. It's where I learned to hand stack roof. Did lots of 2 story all brick homes with tile roofs, cut up like I never saw in Utah. You'll like it :)

·
Super Moderator
29,290 Posts
Kings of Marchitecture. Build quality isn't great, but they build a lot of houses and make a lot of money last I knew.
I meant Central Texas :laughing: Dont move here!

Dont know anything about Centex Homes.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Dallas is booming. But being from Tennessee not sure how good you're Spanish is but you're gonna need it.
Have a good friend that's a GC there. He does well.
I think you'll like it

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been reading a little bit about expansive or swelling soils and it looks like Dallas is right in the midst of it. Are the foundations beefier or do they require extra rebar because of this or is extra excavation required to resolve this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts