Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Any Fencing Contractors out there?

15K views 67 replies 8 participants last post by  DecksEtc 
G.L. In Ont said:
I've looked at the Paslode cordless ones and they're pretty pricey and those fuel cells are $8 a pop.
What - are they $100 more? It'll drive about 1200 nails with a fuel cell. That's about 11# of 8d nails or 17# of 10d nails. How long does it take you to set up and knock down the compressor on a job? How 'bout dragging the hose all around the yard? Gasoline? If the cycle time on the Paslode is slow that would definetly be an issue but to me, at first blush, for fencing I'd think the cordless would be the BOMB.
Used my Paslode for 90 minutes this week in the snow. It worked great.

G.L. In Ont said:
What Paslode do you have?

http://www.paslode.com/products/tool_catalog/IMCT.html

Keep in mind I'm not a hammer slinger by trade. We use it strictly as a 'utility' tool and do not use it daily. When we do have to nail something together it's usually an odd piece of formwork, some temporary bracing or a makeshift fence. For me, it's maddening to watch a couple of guys who aren't carpenters struggle to put together a handful of 2x4's - especially when the process is holding up a $600/hr operation. The same guys can take the cordless Paslode and get through it with a reasonable amount of ease.

DecksEtc said:
t just may not be robust enough for the constant daily use you hope to put it through.
Here's what I used today.

Probably a might too robust for a nail gun, huh?

How do the batteries hold up on the impact tools? We have one of these
to assemble water main fittings and a cordless might be a big plus. On a good day we might need to assemble 250 3-1/2" x 3/4" bolts - more typically it'd be about 100.

papakap said:
all your employees will be scrubbs and if you drug test you will have no employees at all.
I have really been trying to research this very well before taking the plunge. Hoping I can get some advice
[/QUOTE]
Here's my $.02:
Set your sights a lot higher when it comes to staff. If you don't you'll never be able to enjoy many of the real rewards that self-employment can offer.

Mike Finley said:
II have never seen any electric impact drivers that can deliver 10% of the torque an air powered impact driver will. I think there is a marketing reason they spec air tools at ft/lbs and electric impacts at inch/lbs.
Got an e-mail today that contained ad for the Milwaukee 18V cordless impact - pretty cute ad. I tried to upload the media player file it but it won't work. Keep an eye out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.