Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Any Fencing Contractors out there?

15K views 67 replies 8 participants last post by  DecksEtc 
Today I went over my fencing estimates and, due to this topic, averaged them.
Six local companies averaged out to $16.60 per ft. for 400 ft. + (1) 10 ft gate and (2) 36 in. gates. Yard is not exactly level with a few humps along the line. The fence is concealed stringer shadowbox, as opposed to panels nailed to posts. It is also to Miami-Dade High Velocity code with posts at 4 ft for a 6 ft. fence. Two sides have a couple of root systems to deal with and the back will encounter roots with almost every hole.

One thing that I notice about going cordless is weight. I like pneumatic tools. Wired electric tools weigh more and cordless are heavier yet. In cordless, more power=more batteries=more weight. Cordless may be more convienient for small jobs but if you are planning to be there, even for a full day, it's compressor time!

I think that you would do fine with a few students if you could find the right ones.
'You get what you pay for' sees quite a bit of use on this site and I don't see why your situation would be any different. Most of the kids that I've hired have had a poor work ethic. Some have worked an hour or two and disappeared.
One that really fooled me (interview was really impressive) started late, took 2hr lunches and was gone at the stroke of 5. He was such a quick learner that within days he was telling all trades what they were doing wrong. To cap it all off, he came to me after 2wks asking for a promotion and a raise!!! I informed him that his new title would be "unemployed". LOL

Current roster is 29 full time, 4 part time and I get bullworkers from LaborFinders as reqd.

Terry, How big is your compressor? My 2HP with 12gal tank will run my 1/2" impact wrench with 250 ft/lb of torque long enough to sink quite a few lag bolts.

You are going to need a compressor that will provide you with about 10 CFM of free air if you are going to run continuously. With a smaller compressor you can 'fool the tool' if you have the volume. As you have discovered, a 0.6 cu ft reservoir won't fool much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.