Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen this thing yet? It just popped up at our local Home Depot.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/cordless/P320

If it hadn't been a Ryobi, I wouldn't have hesitated for a second.

Anybody used one? We are constantly getting out the compressor and finish nailers for various things and it sure would be nice to just pull one of these out instead.

Is this not exclusive to the Ryobi line? Because this is the first time I'd ever heard of a cordless that also doesn't need gas cartridges.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
its getting deceent reviews at toolbox buzz, its definitely not pro grade. i was supposed to get it last june to review through aconcordcarpenter.com but ryobi never sent it out

as for battery only operated, dewalts had theirs for some time and senco has the fusion line

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have one, Ryobi that is. Works fine if the batteries are fully charged and not just in from the cold. I use it for when I install shoe molding.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Think the Senco Fusion ( does not take gas) is about the best in the cordless nailers.

But I don't think much about the batteries. Thinking about converting mine so it can use my Makita batteries.

Ryobi stuff is low grade but for the price its hard to complain.

·
Registered
159 Posts
rayh78 said:
Think the Senco Fusion ( does not take gas) is about the best in the cordless nailers. But I don't think much about the batteries. Thinking about converting mine so it can use my Makita batteries. Ryobi stuff is low grade but for the price its hard to complain.
Converting yours? As in buying a makita equivalent or modifying the battery base to accept makita batteries? I've seen mods with pigtails and someone even created a dewalt 20v to 18v adapter.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've used it and it's actually pretty nice for small jobs.

I know the ryobu batteries work in makita radios, they should be reverse compatible maybe?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Think the Senco Fusion ( does not take gas) is about the best in the cordless nailers.

But I don't think much about the batteries. Thinking about converting mine so it can use my Makita batteries.

Ryobi stuff is low grade but for the price its hard to complain.
Haha im thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Glad to know there's a Dewalt version. I was unaware of that.

We run 95% dewalt stuff here, so it'd be nice to keep it in the family. I have 5 or 6 of the batteries now. Hopefully it runs the 20V max batteries?
The Dewalt is a pig. Weighs almost twice what the Senco or Ryobi weigh.

Uses the old XRP 18volt NiCad batteries.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Senco fusion is iffy. I know a guy who bought one and it worked great so he got more for the workers. Turns out when they got left in the freezing cold work trucks none of them would work properly the next day even when warmed up. They were all returned and got new ones which had the same thing happen again.

The nailer hasn't been around long enough to say if its good or not. The build quality is slightly iffy compared to my paslode, which in my experience is the best cordless nailer you can buy.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I have the dewalt 16ga. cordless and it works ok mostly, but it's heavy and very bulky. I also have a few Paslode cordless guns, but I work in finished homes, and the loud bang freaks out the H.O. ! LOL

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
The Senco fusion is iffy. I know a guy who bought one and it worked great so he got more for the workers. Turns out when they got left in the freezing cold work trucks none of them would work properly the next day even when warmed up. They were all returned and got new ones which had the same thing happen again.

The nailer hasn't been around long enough to say if its good or not. The build quality is slightly iffy compared to my paslode, which in my experience is the best cordless nailer you can buy.
I don't leave any battery powered tools out in the cold. Lithium batteries are especially bad cold. If it has a battery, it spends the night in a heated garage or in the house.

I don't like any of my nailers to be cold, for that matter. Sometimes it can't be avoided though.

I've only used the Senco for a couple of months now, but it seems great so far.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I bought this ryobi last year for punch list work. I'm not a huge ryobi / ridgid fan, but I have to say this works great for that. As soon as it started to get a little cold last fall (in NY) I had to warm it up for it to work.

I bought it and the drill, 2 batteries, & charger combo. Not bad for under $250 out the door for the convenience. The drill still sits in the box on the shelf in my shop. It feels like a real clunker!:laughing:

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Dewalt is a pig. Weighs almost twice what the Senco or Ryobi weigh.

Uses the old XRP 18volt NiCad batteries.
That's a shame to hear, especially when you gotta hold the thing sideways half the time for nailing base moulding and other tight fit situations.

I just hate the idea of getting another brand and having a whole second set of chargers and batteries, but it's so tempting to get the Senco and never have to worry about lines and compressors for trim work.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I really like the fact that my senco 16g always works.but its has issues sinking 2-21/2 . Any one else have that problem?
I've only had that problem with hardwoods, especially hard maple. Attaching a thick maple trim to solid maple none of the cordless nailers I tested could drive nails flush.

None of the battery only finish guns worked well with 2-1/2" nails into solid maple. Even the gas powered gun left nail heads proud in that test, but they did better than the Senco and others that are battery only.

My old pneumatic Paslode was the only gun to pass that test. For long nails in the hardest woods, air power is still the way to go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts