Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually don't really care much about other firms, but with this one I am looking for anyone or any info(i.e. feedback) on them: Strong Systems International located in Norcross, GA

They sub out low voltage work for a well known restaurant chain, and, we have been working with them as a sub.

At this point I don't want to get into what our issues are that are causing me to ask questions, but I will in private messages. I have tried doing some background checking on the web, but nothing really comes up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so here is the scoop:
1. All devices, connections, ports, alarm contacts, etc have to be in exact locations, exact type of back box and so forth....non of the plans given to us reflected that, so I spent days with the electrical contracts and going over the on site plans to try and line everything up.
2. The diagrams and plans we got initially were for a different set up and site and didn't match anything on the site we were working on.
3. They said they would pay for permits and licenses.....they didn't. Only permits....had to call accounts payable to find this out.
4. They have been late on all payments to us....had to call and threaten a stop work order to get anything done by them
5. The super on site called a fire inspection without my permission, I am the fire alarm system contractor and my name is on the permit. This cost us extra time and personnel to meet this unplanned deadline.
6. The company knows this is our first time on this project for them, yet they don't plan ahead at all. I have to call and email them to get answers that should have been planned out way in advance. There is a lot of new devices and systems that we haven't worked with before...we can do it, but need some support and guidance from them.....which I can't get unless I'm on the phone constantly.
7. The company supposedly is the national contractor(low volt) for this chain of fast food restaurants......and they have done dozens of them.....yet it seems that getting any info from them is like pulling teeth and (again) I have to use my best guess and consultation with the GC and Electrical on site to get answers.
8. They finally gave us a guide ....last week....after 4 weeks on the job as to how they want things done and where everything goes.
9. I have to call and demand payments....and this is according to their contract, not ours....so they do not abide by their own agreements.
10. I was told that we would be reimbursed for all permits and licenses....this wasn't true....they only pay for permits and nothing else...their PM told me he kinda forgot to tell me this. Also, it took over 60 days to get the first permit payment (which they shorted us on)...I was told it would be paid immediately when I submitted it.

Right now, I hold the trump card. If I don't call for a final fire alarm inspection, this place will NEVER open up and it delays all the other inspections.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what I am trying to find out if anyone in CT land knows of these guys, heard anything about them, or, have worked with them in the past and if so, what happened.

Ok, so here is the scoop:
1. All devices, connections, ports, alarm contacts, etc have to be in exact locations, exact type of back box and so forth....non of the plans given to us reflected that, so I spent days with the electrical contracts and going over the on site plans to try and line everything up.
2. The diagrams and plans we got initially were for a different set up and site and didn't match anything on the site we were working on.
3. They said they would pay for permits and licenses.....they didn't. Only permits....had to call accounts payable to find this out.
4. They have been late on all payments to us....had to call and threaten a stop work order to get anything done by them
5. The super on site called a fire inspection without my permission, I am the fire alarm system contractor and my name is on the permit. This cost us extra time and personnel to meet this unplanned deadline.
6. The company knows this is our first time on this project for them, yet they don't plan ahead at all. I have to call and email them to get answers that should have been planned out way in advance. There is a lot of new devices and systems that we haven't worked with before...we can do it, but need some support and guidance from them.....which I can't get unless I'm on the phone constantly.
7. The company supposedly is the national contractor(low volt) for this chain of fast food restaurants......and they have done dozens of them.....yet it seems that getting any info from them is like pulling teeth and (again) I have to use my best guess and consultation with the GC and Electrical on site to get answers.
8. They finally gave us a guide ....last week....after 4 weeks on the job as to how they want things done and where everything goes.
9. I have to call and demand payments....and this is according to their contract, not ours....so they do not abide by their own agreements.
10. I was told that we would be reimbursed for all permits and licenses....this wasn't true....they only pay for permits and nothing else...their PM told me he kinda forgot to tell me this. Also, it took over 60 days to get the first permit payment (which they shorted us on)...I was told it would be paid immediately when I submitted it.

Right now, I hold the trump card. If I don't call for a final fire alarm inspection, this place will NEVER open up and it delays all the other inspections.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It sounds as if they've got a claim on the mother lode, and their approach is to have other folks do the digging.

As far as what people told you rather than what's in the contract - paying for licenses, how quickly you'll get paid, and so on - well, the contract rules, and it's easy for a PM or billing clerk to make promises that aren't theirs to keep. If they're operating out of another state, they may not really care about developing loyal local subs - they can just use new subs on a project-by-project basis.

Good luck finishing up the job. Play that trump card for all it's worth.

Edit: I guess that's all a little Captain Obvious, nothing you don't know. Good luck finishing it up.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right Bob.

I have to question as to what happened to the other subs that worked on stores in Sacramento, San Jose, Sunnyvale, and so forth in Northern Cal. Where did they go? Why aren't they doing this job?

Strong said they had some issues with their last contractor, really?? There are two sides to every story. The word I got from the site super is that one guy from a firm did the last store and he quit right after, and, got another job elsewhere.

There is nothing on the web except for PR for these guys.

Obviously, I am going to re-read the contract again. The first time it was all boiler plate stuff, like other out of state contractors we do work for. There was a lot of trade secret and "don't contact our clients" clauses....which I don't care about anyway.

I way underbid this thing and that bothers me a lot because I rarely do that now. I thought I had it covered, based on our other projects, but no, that is not how it worked out.

So, I am going to go back and make notes of every little thing we had to do that wasn't on plan, or, had to modify the plan. I am going to charge full retail rates for everything we did that was modified or extra.

I really don't like having to pull the "trump card" and basically screw everyone else too, but it wasn't my doing that got the situation where it is now.

PS. Someone has to go around and do all the fire inspections and testing on their sites, and, whoever it is has to be within 2 hours of the site.

It sounds as if they've got a claim on the mother lode, and their approach is to have other folks do the digging.

As far as what people told you rather than what's in the contract - paying for licenses, how quickly you'll get paid, and so on - well, the contract rules, and it's easy for a PM or billing clerk to make promises that aren't theirs to keep. If they're operating out of another state, they may not really care about developing loyal local subs - they can just use new subs on a project-by-project basis.

Good luck finishing up the job. Play that trump card for all it's worth.

Edit: I guess that's all a little Captain Obvious, nothing you don't know. Good luck finishing it up.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Cwat.... Sorry bubbi... I don't have any insight/knowledge on that company....nor do I know how to run check on that kind of company that moves between states.

Just want to say, as strange as it sounds, your position and handling of the situation makes me feel good. ( Sorry to the extent that you ever encountered that.)

You responsibly handled the work situation, and you do have a legitimate trump card/pocket aces..... just makes me feel good that entities/people/corporations that prey on whoever they can, are not going to prevail on honest/smaller/out-of-town subs.

You're a nice guy, but I hope not too nice, and I hope you kick their butts.

Best

PS/Edit: I don't think it's your style, but if they are late pay, pursuant to your state's MM laws, file the MM claim. (In most all states it's very inexpensive, and when the restaurent notices the claim, the GC will haveto answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts