Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mulling over some ideas for a fort for my kids, and was wondering what other people here have built.

Here's a couple that I think would be fun to build.

image-1679777563.jpg

image-293502957.jpg

image-2805154973.jpg

I probably have enough scraps to build the tree house one minus the stump.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,954 Posts
YMMV, but my experience with doing that wasn't entirely gratifying.

Growing up on the farm, I built my own treehouse when I was about 8 years old, and spent countless hours there. When my boys were around that age, I built one for them, considerably nicer--and they hardly ever used it for anything.

Granted, they had a whole other generation's distractions, but in retrospect I think I'd have done better to "enable" them to pretty much do it themselves.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Granted, they had a whole other generation's distractions, but in retrospect I think I'd have done better to "enable" them to pretty much do it themselves.
If your kids are anything like my neice or nephews, if it didn't have WiFi in it, they wouldn't use it. All of them have their face in the phones or ipads constantly - doesn't matter what is going on around them.

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're too young now to do it themselves, they will get to help though.

We will be moving in about a 12-18 months so they'll get another chance then. I'm partly trying to use stuff up to avoid a trip to the dump when we move.

I built them a volcano with some topsoil I'm saving for landscaping. They love it, their mother on the other hand, not so much.

image-1608438471.jpg

·
Registered
797 Posts
YMMV, but my experience with doing that wasn't entirely gratifying.

Growing up on the farm, I built my own treehouse when I was about 8 years old, and spent countless hours there. When my boys were around that age, I built one for them, considerably nicer--and they hardly ever used it for anything.

I like your first sample fort. It looks well made and could double if you need an extra place to put up a guest for the night.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
I built this for my daughter back in 2001 when she was 7. :cry:
It was even drywalled and painted on the inside. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reg, the hobbit hole one is cool. It might belong on the tiny house thread though. Since we'll be moving I don't think I want to put a ton of money into it.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I had a little side playhouse business for a very brief period of time. I was slammed with orders then all of a sudden it was like nothing. One minute I could not keep up then the next I couldn't get a single call. It was very weird.

Anyway here are some ideas. I built all of them. They all were movable (with the right amount of muscle) if needed.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
All built to order, or you prebuilt and customers bought what you made.

Very nice and i'll bet a lot of fun.
Just one was pre-built. The rest were ordered. They had their ideas from the net or where ever then had their own ideas on what they wanted.

It was fun. Was great to see the kids get excited. I was kinda bummed when I stopped doing them. I never expected for it to take off and become a full time business but it was the weirdest thing when I stopped. It was like someone took the phone off the hook.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I had a little side playhouse business for a very brief period of time. I was slammed with orders then all of a sudden it was like nothing. One minute I could not keep up then the next I couldn't get a single call. It was very weird.

Anyway here are some ideas. I built all of them. They all were movable (with the right amount of muscle) if needed.

Truly some real neat stuff!

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CrpntrFrk said:

Those are pretty cool!

I have actually been mulling over the idea to do these on the side.
With my new job I won't have time to do any finish work during the summer months.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I built a tree fort for my kids when they were small. Used a whole skid of lumber I had acquired over the years. Five years later they grew out of the tree fort as their interests changed to sports and boys. After it sat empty for many years I took it down. My advice to anyone who wants to build a fort for their kids is build a good shed and disguise it as a fort. When the kids grow out of it, at least you still have a good shed. Time goes by faster than you think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts