Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
31,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like key gas powered equipment is going to not be sold in Califirnia starting in 2024. Any ideas on how compliance happens in the long term? From the La Times:

'
New portable gas-powered generators also must be zero-emission by 2028, which also could be delayed at the discretion of the state agency.

Machinery with so-called small off-road engines also includes chain saws, weed trimmers and golf carts,
'

Sale of off-road engine equipment has to comply with zero emissions .

·
Registered
GC
1,087 Posts
I thought the law stopped the sale of new gas powered equipment, but doesn't ban the use of existing equipment?
Generators are going to be the tough one to replace. Batteries will work for short term outages but anything past a couple days and we're trouble.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the law stopped the sale of new gas powered equipment, but doesn't ban the use of existing equipment?
Generators are going to be the tough one to replace. Batteries will work for short term outages but anything past a couple days and we're trouble.
Correct, sales if new equipment.

I don't know how commercial logging will work without gas powered chainsaws, or how the forest cleanups to prevent destructive fires is going to happen.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Good thing Stihls last a few decades and are easy to rebuild.
Correct, sales if new equipment.

I don't know how commercial logging will work without gas powered chainsaws, or how the forest cleanups to prevent destructive fires is going to happen.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
On the flip side, can you imagine where battery powered chain saw technology will be by then?

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
197 Posts
On the flip side, can you imagine where battery powered chain saw technology will be by then?

It's already grown by leaps & bounds in the last few years alone. I belong to a few arborist sites and have seen a steady progression towards battery powered by even some of the most respected arbs in the business. I'd love to get one, but can't justify the expense. My little Echo 2511-t is the closest thing I have. Beastly little saw for the size. Feels like a toy in your hand, at least until you pull the cord.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Milwaukee makes a top handled arborist saw, but I don't know anything about it. I'm a big fan of the little echos in general for arborist and light work. My baby saw is a CS305.

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is going to save all of california from climate destruction. All of the country even. Everyone knows electricity to recharge the batteries is free and comes by magic out of the wall.

I guess the rolling blackouts they experienced this summer are never going to happen again.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trailered welders and such are going to have a tough time.

I think it's too early to really tell what this will look like, lots of things to work out.

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
Milwaukee has some serious high output batteries....but man technology needs to reduce the weight of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,038 Posts
I think Milwaukee makes a top handled arborist saw, but I don't know anything about it. I'm a big fan of the little echos in general for arborist and light work. My baby saw is a CS305.
I have a Milwaukee chainsaw. Pretty impressive really, but to have to use it all day logging, nope would have to have to many batteries and how going to charge them ? Gas generator. Bring back the steam powered saws. Or maybe air powered and the governor Nancy crazy Maxine could power them. Lol

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Kowboy
2,516 Posts
California can't drop into the sea fast enough to suit me. Leftist commie pinko nuts out there; present company excepted of course.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure batteries are going to make it into the pro saw category. My husqvarna 372XP is just barely a pro saw, and if you don't use the full face screen, your face is getting cut up from the chips flying out of it. It looks like you did a bad job of shaving.

You just don't get that off the slower saws.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
I heard today that it would take a professional lawn company like 20-40 batteries a day to operate.

How you gonna charge that many at night. Plus at 200 bucks each, it becomes an issue.

Add in large ones for double priced pro zero turns and you are into 10s of thousands just to get started.

Me thinks it is another way to kill off the little guy who has a couple mowers and a weedeater.

It will be only corporate lawn services if this goes onto effect.

But that is just crazy talk.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
I'm not sure batteries are going to make it into the pro saw category. My husqvarna 372XP is just barely a pro saw, and if you don't use the full face screen, your face is getting cut up from the chips flying out of it. It looks like you did a bad job of shaving.

You just don't get that off the slower saws.
Can you imagine trying to replace a Stihl 880 magnum with a battery saw? It'd weigh 200lb, last 20 minutes, and still not do the job. And - are they gonna bring a solar farm with them to charge batteries?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,944 Posts
Businesses will be given 2 options.

1) Buy the batteries

2) Pay a huge yearly fee for staying with gas. (Carbon credits)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts