Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm vaguely considering the idea of going back to school to pursue an architecture degree. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on how you think that might be a help or a hindrance in the construction world.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with Cole. I'm self taught on AutoCAD, and it's incredibly useful, but I'm always amazed at what the guys that have actually taken the courses can do. If I had more time I'd sign up in a second.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
My father, when he retired from the Armed Forces (Drill Sargent), took a correspondance course via mail (back before the internet) for his drafting course and ran a very successful drafting business from home. The only drawback is that he wasn't a licensed architect and was limitied to a certain size building. But, you'd be hard pressed to find any homes that were designed better or built to more stringent guidelines than the ones he designed and built.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Architecture involves many years as a low paid lackey on CAD. You will put up with years of generating copyrighted details with little artistic satisfaction.

A carpenter can make more money and go home with more satisfaction.

If you have this interest, I would encourage you to get the education you desire, but also invest in CAD training. Many Architects, Engineers and suppliers of engineered products need CAD operators. You can do it part time from home, but during the day you can be like us and actually build something, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts