Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Any Advice on heating trailer for the winter?

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AustinDB 
#1 ·
We drag a 16' Haulmark drop back box trailer that has been a lifesaver to the business every day. Inside isn't only a rolling big box store but also a good rest area too. Almost froze to death last winter - just can't seem to get it warm. Tried a portable 110 space heater - might as well light a candle.
Any suggestions for heating from anyone who basically lives out of their work trailer too? I've heard any type of kerosene or LP heater is a bad idea in such an enclosed area.
Thanks

#3 ·

You see that rectangular thing with the vent grill mounted on the right side by the helmet near the ceiling.

That is a RV furnace, Suburban SF-30-F 30,0000 btu.

Cost to install:

Suburban SF-30 on Ebay or equivalent - under $400
Propane tank - $40
12 volt Battery - $50
Hose, wiring and thermostat - $100

This furnace will heat the inside so hot you can't stand it, if you wanted.

The attached pic of the outside vents is how the vents are on a SF-30-F model. A SF-30 without the last F is the same furnace but it has the big rectangular cover on the outside with the vents integrated. The F model is a cleaner installation as long as you have access on the inside. The non F model is for when you won't have any access from the inside, like how they are installed inside a motorhome behind a cabinet, etc.

Attachments

#12 ·
Unless you run duct work your going to want to mount the furnace as low to the floor as possible. In my 8x20ft hydraulic fish house run a 30K btu furnace and it works great. It's got a vent to the outside which makes me sleep a little better at night!

By buddy has a 8x28ft enclosed trailer and he's got a radiant heater he uses to heat it. He does mostly siding and it works well for him in the Winter to run the heater when installing plastic siding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.