Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tony
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's I need some Info

For you all that do boat bottoms, I have got a call to do a 43' open ocean race boat. It has the anti-fouling paint on it. I do not have the time to do a test.

I know some of you use surfacetek pot and do boats. I was hoping you can give some idea of how long it takes when you do this size boat and how much media you go through.

Also anything you can tell me about this subject, this will be the first boat we do.

This job has the boat , trailer and frame of the truck they are building to haul this thing. As I am sure all you know this would be a great job to land right now.

Thanks
Tony

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
are you going to set up a tent around it?

the tent building and cleanup is the most of the time.

we just did a 34' sail boat
1-1/2 hour or so to set up tent and make it tight, did not do plastic on ground as it was concrete.

blasted for 5-1/2 hours
cleaned up for 2 hours, baged and removed off site (to a dumpster)

11 (50 lb) bags of soda.

did a 38' lobster boat, 4.5 hours total, 6 bags of soda.
They cleaned up there own mess and tent.

PS I don't have a surface tek, so I don't know if the flow is the same (i run a Chesapekee Soda Blaster)

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Figure about a bag every four feet. Then add two for good mesure. That's fairly safe.

I use Surface Tek. It does well but Jim's is designed for soda and does a little better.

There are some variables of course. How thick it is. If they blocked it one foot off the ground. Some have a deep depression up under the hull so you have to crawl under and blast upward for a while.

If there are some barnicles don't try to blast them off. Just run past them. When the coating is gone move on or you will tear up the gell before the tougher barnicles come off. They are not your concern.

If you are not sure what to expect it to look like when you blast... You will expect it to have a slightly rough finnish it doesn't stay smooth and glaossy like the top. It may be very white looking or it may have a lot of blotchy color still on it like a stain. That's normal. you just need to remove the thickness. If they are going to recoat it a little color won't hurt. Some people do not recoat and actually buff it to glossy again.

Walnut works very well also.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Oh yeah, If they have the ability you could offer to let them re position the stands when you are done so you can hit the areas under them. Or they will just have to sand them by hand later.

Going rate is maybe $40 per foot with tenting and clean up maybe $25 to $30 just blast and leave. Have you priced it yet?

·
Tony
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not priced it yet, thanks for the info

Oh yeah, If they have the ability you could offer to let them re position the stands when you are done so you can hit the areas under them. Or they will just have to sand them by hand later.

Going rate is maybe $40 per foot with tenting and clean up maybe $25 to $30 just blast and leave. Have you priced it yet?

·
2,018 Posts
I tell them , if there is 6 stands (43') and they have an extra, I will put one in then move the other, and go around the boat that way.

if they only have 4 stands on a big boat like that, I tell them my insurance does not cover me moving the stands. (It's a judgment call) and let them sand it out by hand latter.

(Thats Linner Feet NOT Square feet)??

it depends on how deep the haul is too (draft of the boat). I've lost money on some sailboats because i didn't ask....

Haul draft @ 8' and under $40 -50 LNFT. w/builing tents
that from the water line to the bottom middle of the keel.

over 8'- depends on paint... 50 -65 Some times but rare!

prices is with building tent, blasting, materials and clean up and removeal of materials to a dumpster.

Remember, the states are looking at this stuff, clean it up right.
they are trying to get people to stop powerwashing this stuff down the drains.

Pick it up, bag it and put it in a dumpster thats going to a clean landfill.
and you will be known for doing a hard clean job!!!

·
2,018 Posts
BullDog,
Here is a model of what we give our costomers, Change it to your needs

its a anti-fouling paint removel guideline paper.
it tells the costomer what and how it is done. then they sign it

cover your a$$, just in case...

Attachments

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Yes I was talking by length. He said it's a race boat so I don't think it has a deep draft. But yes I see some have a much bigger hull. Best to say price based on best guess of material usage and will be adjusted to cover larger quantities if needed. It's better than giving one way too big price and loosing the job or them getting ripped. It takes what it takes I like to tell them.

·
2,018 Posts
guys when your blasting boats do you just keep feathering down through the paint or do you get a edge and move along it?
Most paint just gets an edge, very few feather out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts