Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,643 Posts
Looks like all the AL folks are moving to Houzz... Hz was a real clean and inviting site until the last few months. Now there's a ton of foul mouth people going unmoderated in discussions.

I hope this Virginia guy wins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used Angies list before and you need to be careful when signing their contracts. If you don't pay they will sell your debt to collections and ruin your credit. They are more expensive then blue book and I never got a job from them. Also if you dont pay they will post it to your profile with big bold red letters. Then they state it's free for contractors to advertise on their tv ads.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I once earned a lot of business from angies list, then I got one bad review from someone I couldn't even legally work for and she was allowed to post the review because we "spoke" when I asked to enter her condo unit and see where the leak was from the inside.

I no longer use Angieslist. I push anyone to stay far from angieslist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea me too. Luckily I've had no bad online reviews YET but I can understand how horrible that would be!
Are you using anyone currently that seems to be working?

·
Registered
403 Posts
A review site that reviewed review sites would have 100% bad reviews. The whole online review industry is 100% corrupt just like the online lead services and gives psychotics a place to vent without any intervention whatsoever from the corrupt review site management no matter how obviously inaccurate, unfair and emotionally unhinged a review is. A good portion of the reviewers don't even do business with the business they review. They just have a hissy fit because their budget was inadequate and they don't want to hear that.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Angies list????? Run away as fast as you can! You can get more business by doing good work for people at reasonable prices. Homeowners are always looking a for a honest and dependable repair guy. People talk!

1,183 Posts
PoleBarnsNY said:
A review site that reviewed review sites would have 100% bad reviews. The whole online review industry is 100% corrupt just like the online lead services and gives psychotics a place to vent without any intervention whatsoever from the corrupt review site management no matter how obviously inaccurate, unfair and emotionally unhinged a review is. A good portion of the reviewers don't even do business with the business they review. They just have a hissy fit because their budget was inadequate and they don't want to hear that.
Google reviews are worth trying to get can be a PITA for the reviewer if they don't have a gmail account. As for lead services remember they tell the HO we can get refer you 5 contractors who will beat each other up on price to get the sale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I'm reading here the yellow pages seem to be the way to go.
Who would of thought...
No way...too expensive and 70% of the people never use it!

Go SEO, FB, Create a good functional website and ALWAYS ask for Referrals. One of my guys get 3-5 referrals every week!

Reactions: rando1201
1,183 Posts
anna12365 said:
Just started skimming through posts and many say they are
having success with the yellow pages. I guess it could be more
of a question then a statement because I have no idea if it
works or not.
Yellow pages online do ok I'm sure lots of people search yellow pages then go from there to find a contractor. They are used to the old book in hand but now they go online . I've had seniors who use the computer tell me the found me online through the yellow pages. I don't pay for any type of add just a simple listing .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go SEO, FB, Create a good functional website and ALWAYS ask for Referrals. One of my guys get 3-5 referrals every week!

Can you explain this so a dummy can understand? Who am I asking for referrals?
SEO? FB?
Who are your guys?
Thanks and sorry if I don't get it

·
Registered
7 Posts
When my Angie's List advertising runs out, I'm not going to renew.
1. There was a sharp increase in the cost every year (almost double)
2. Every time I check my listing as a member, I get a follow up email from Angie's List offering me one of their "Big Deals" in my category. I'm not going to pay a company to undrecut my advertising.

·
Driveway Cleaner
80 Posts
I almost got "snookered" into signing a contract with angies list. Rep was telling me everything I wanted to hear. About 5 minutes after hanging up, I got an email from my AL consumer account, promoting the big deal in my area for the exact things I was about to sign up for. The guy was advertising such low prices that I don't know how you can run a business, especially because you have to give AL a percentage. I am not going to pay for advertising where they are putting that guy in my category. Also I thought that contractors can't pay to be on Angies List?....Why do they keep hounding me for money then?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts