Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finaly after three years of trying I get the call . An opening for a carpenter in antartica.I had the initial interview with two more to follow, lots of paperwork and physicals to come and if all goes well I'll be off to the south pole for the summer season october to febuary(maybe longer if I can). They have been working on a new station at mc merdo , a structural insulated panel building raised off the Ice on precast concrete piers;As I understand the summer project is going to be siding this monster. :D
Teetor you should come down I understand it gets up to -30 when the sun is shining.And no hurricanes or misquitoes.
any ways wish me luck, its been a dream of a lifetime for me.
Stay curious,
Dan

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
sawdusted, I'll be thinking about you. It just got really nice here, mid to upper 80's and I'm finally back into shorts.
I never really understood why people would want to wear all of those clothes. I feel stifled.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teetorbilt said:
sawdusted, I'll be thinking about you. It just got really nice here, mid to upper 80's and I'm finally back into shorts.
I never really understood why people would want to wear all of those clothes. I feel stifled.
hey t,
I may be down that way soon to fill the gap between now and (hopefully) october- the halifax company that I'd mentioned in april has finaly gotten there office open in ft myers , I'll have to dust off my shorts... or sharpen my skates or...surfs up !? we'll see what happens next or first...whatever tomorrow brings I'm not going to worry about it :D
keep you posted
Dan

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
sawdusted said:
Finaly after three years of trying I get the call . An opening for a carpenter in antartica.I had the initial interview with two more to follow, lots of paperwork and physicals to come and if all goes well I'll be off to the south pole for the summer season october to febuary(maybe longer if I can). They have been working on a new station at mc merdo , a structural insulated panel building raised off the Ice on precast concrete piers;As I understand the summer project is going to be siding this monster. :D
Teetor you should come down I understand it gets up to -30 when the sun is shining.And no hurricanes or misquitoes.
any ways wish me luck, its been a dream of a lifetime for me.
Stay curious,
Dan
man thats awesome... I wish I was going with you. Do they need a painter... we could try to get a hold of some sub zero latex coatings?? I'll give NASA a call and get back to you. Put in a good word for me ;)

Best of luck by the way!

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Hey Saw, I saw that project on the Descovery Channel. Didn't look to me like there was much in the way of brauds, you might want to keep your distance from the crew.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the possible exception of the Sun's surface, the the south pole would have to be the worst gig imaginable. Even working in Iraq would be better. The pay had better be good!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks floor, I'm with you ... Romex I don't know where your at but we are all individuals and our spirits drive us all in different directions.(if we listen)
Iraq was also an option $80,000 a year tax free take it if you like...its not for me. Going to antartica is not about the money, its average pay( and yes its taxed), its about the place and the people who find them selves there.
It has been discribed as working on another planet maybe thats the attraction
To me its an opportunity of a life time, Romex you probibly have never had the pleasure of experiencing a prefectly calm and sunny 40 below zero day..."perfection" . Don't get me wrong I like the warmth as well ....but working on the sun???
Stay curious
Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks 6 string... I'm not there yet still a few hoops to jump through but after three years of trying I got to take the first step...
Stay curious
Dan

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Is that the building you are going to be siding? If it is that looks like a hell of a 'summer' project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts