Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Compared to the crawl space I finished Friday, this one was a walk in the park! This footing was level and square. 494 block laid and we stucco 425. installed bolts and vents. We worked 5 1/2 hours Saturday and 5 hours Sunday.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Batter boards are the new "old fashioned relic."

Funny how they are such a great indicator of how accurate the foundation is.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Where's the footing, or do you lay 2 courses, and then backfill so you don't need to reach/scaffold?

Nice to see block foundations going in on new homes yet, not too many left around here...........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where's the footing, or do you lay 2 courses, and then backfill so you don't need to reach/scaffold?

Nice to see block foundations going in on new homes yet, not too many left around here...........:thumbsup:
When we clean up before we leave, we just rake the loose dirt back around the walls. Looks finished and I think it looks a little better.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a better pic of your story pole set up...I'd like to see if I could improve mine.:thumbsup:
I'm getting ready to start another basement Monday, I'll take some pictures of my corner poles then.

They're two inch aluminum square tubing. I have' em in 8, 9, and 10 foot lengths. The braces are round tubing with a smaller tubing inside with a set screw.

I have them made a local machine shop.

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Only thing I don't like about square tube leads is that line blocks slip off too easy, I have some ten footers that will telescope up to 12' that I made. I usually use 2" x 2" angle iron that telescope up to 9'. I can buy enough steel to make 6 leads for the price of one single store bought lead.

What percentage of your business is doing these foundations? I have never done a single one.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only thing I don't like about square tube leads is that line blocks slip off too easy, I have some ten footers that will telescope up to 12' that I made. I usually use 2" x 2" angle iron that telescope up to 9'. I can buy enough steel to make 6 leads for the price of one single store bought lead.

What percentage of your business is doing these foundations? I have never done a single one.
The foundations are a big part of my business. But it runs in spells. I might lay six foundations in a couple of months, then I might go six months and not lay any.

There is at least eleven general contractors here in two counties that I do all the masonry for. Plus I do customer work ,too. So it keeps me busy putting their foundations in.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Are most of the houses there built on slabs?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, in 30+ years I think I have seen one basement. and it was poured concrete.
Wow.. the majority of all of the buildings here are built on block basements or block crawl spaces.

There is one other contractor here in my area that puts in foundations. He forms and pours. But he is so, so expensive, he will only pour maybe one basement a year.

The modular home companies around here have mostly been using Superior Walls the last couple of years but the building inspectors here don't like them. :no:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was just checking out the Superior Walls. Never seen it before. Looks like a stud wall with a thin concrete sheathing. How do the connect the panels and keep them water tight?
The people that sell them, brag about their 15 year warranty. I 've always wondered what they were going to do in 16 years when they start having problems with them with a half a million dollar house sitting on them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts