Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been using deck armor by GAF but last month switched to Owens Corning Deck Defense. I always use owens corning shingles but chose deck armor because of breathability. After lots of research and even talking with GAF, the breathability factor is kind of a moot point because you have a layer of asphalt shingles covering the underlayment which kind of takes away the breathability and not to mention, all roofs have ventilation anyway.
My installers like Deck Defense because its slip resistant on both sides which makes it a bit safer to walk on,, also has better adhesion.
That said, i never had an issue with deck armor, i just made the switch because my installers like working with it. One thing that always worried me is being breathable on a wall is one thing, but a roof kind of scares me. I always wondered if water puddled long enough. It would eventually penetrate something like deck armor due to it being so breathable. I havent seen it with any if my customers though.
Any of you guys have a preference?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
IMO stick to the same brand of components as the shingles.

Deck Armor and TigerPaw are thicker and I have a lot more faith in button caps sealing on those two thicker products than any of the others- including the OC deck defense, CT or rooftop guard. All very thin- with plastic like back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts