Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes.

I was headed to the burger joint for lunch, had the back of the pickup full of help. We ran out of gas at the top of hill just outside of Pekin IL. It was down hill for a mile to the gas station, so we coasted.

I let her go with no brakes not wanting to push, as I approached the light just before the station I noticed it was red and cross traffic was moving about 55. It was then I saw the gap, a small gap but it looked perfectly timed, still no brakes.

The fellas in the back realized what was happening and began screaming "no!" while pounding on the rear window. I told them to shut the hell up they are breaking my consentration. Bill was next to me in the cab but he just said "oh $hit" while grabbing the dash.

We made the gap but no one would talk to me for the rest of the day, funny thing is I saw 2 of them a year ago and they still bring that story up.

Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
Boy what a dumbass to put people in danger like that. Amazing, just truly amazing. And you still tell this story?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I'm wishing like hell you were in that truck Pond old good buddy.

It might have given you a glue of when to keep your mouth shut.

Bob

·
Registered
318 Posts
truck

LOL - if you've never been in a pickup in Southern Illinois you just don't understand....

We had a carpenter that did something similar to us. Only it wasn't for just fun and games - it was to get into the Taco Bell. Serious stuff you know...lol

Tim

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glass,

I can always promise you one thing. I will NEVER be caught in a vehicle or on a job sight with either you or PIPE because I value my life.

The two of you are unpprofessional and dangerous.

The sad part is, you think it is funny. :(

Mark

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Alright guys... This forum WILL NOT turn into a pissing match like so many other contractor forums have.

Please try and watch the tone.

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nathan,

I could not agree with you more!! I wish you would read a majority of these responses. It is more of an attack of character than anything. Childish.

I am new and have gone back and searched responses. It is like children here. Who can be the funniest, who can be the badest, etc. etc.

Is this a forum to help people or not. If it is, it should be responsible and professional. The first thing that I will always do is address each question with what Knowledge that has been aquired over the many years in the business and industry. However; it seems some of the people here just want to berate and attack your response. After so much it is just plain stupid.

I'm sure you will see the pattern developing here after reading all the posts.

We need to act like professionals and mature adults in our responses to the questions. We all know who WE are.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
TimWieneke said:
Serious stuff you know...lol
My Dad told me years ago that someone oughta' write a book detailing the insane stuff that goes on around construction sites and amongst tradesmen. How 'bout the guy that shot himself in the head with a nail gun on a Friday and didn't realize it until Monday when a co-worker saw a nail sticking out of his head? Now that's a hoot!
I for one, and WE all know who I are, choose to take stories like that for what they are - hilarious examples of human idiocy and shortcoming. After all, if you can't laugh hardily at a guy that shot himself in the head with a nail gun and lived to see another day, what can you laugh at? (I know, I know...I mean other than that :cheesygri )

·
Registered
318 Posts
construction site

Pipe,
Never shot myself with a nailgun - know a few who have. I knew one guy who just escaped being mugged by some knife-armed gangbangers by poppin' one nail their way. :Thumbs: I also have one other nailgun (nailfun) story I'll pm you - probably shouldn't admit it openly with my real name and all...lol.

Pond's post reminds me of a short but pretty good contracting story. My family does construction but we're all classical musicians. Our HVAC guy (We'll call him Jeb. lol) has a tendency to be overly vocal about all of life's cruel hardships. One day on a second floor he was complaining about the space he had to run his pipe. Dad happened to have a violin in the truck that he was taking to our church. He snuck back to the truck and came back with it out of sight. He asked "Jeb" to again explain just how "hard" the job was. When Jeb went into his tirade, in perfect timing Dad whipped out the violin and started playing a soulfull, gentle tune to emphasize the hardship Jeb had to deal with.

Only in construction....

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Back when I was a kid (before lawsuits, OSHA, WC, et al) nail and staple guns didn't have all of the safety features that they have today and gunfights could break out at any time. Other than an occasional puncture wound no one ever got seriously hurt.
Ah, the good ol days!

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my first nail gun in the late 70s, it was an old DuoFast, By the 90s we just called it the boat anchor. It kept working fine until one day she just quit.

I called a repair shop in AZ and the fella told me their was no way he could get parts for the old cn-137 model, but he had a set of rings for a new one that just might work. I paid shipping and he sent them for free.

I couldn't hardly get the piston in with the new rings so I lubed them up good and pressed them.

When that nail gun went off it dam near blew the end off the 2x4 at 60lbs.

On the job site the next day you could hear all the guns going off like. "thump..thump....thump.....BLAM!" Then we all would LOL.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts