Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tile work wasn't as fancy as the last one. This was a total gut to studs. Moved the toilet from the back wall to next to the sink. Homeowner wanted to keep the pocket door. Took a little over two weeks.

IMG00315-20110214-0827.jpg

IMG00321-20110214-0829.jpg

IMG00322-20110214-0829.jpg

IMG00360-20110304-1205.jpg

IMG00369-20110304-1208.jpg

IMG00370-20110304-1208.jpg

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure why he wanted the drywall niches. They are pretty strange:blink:. They are really too high and shallow for anything.

This customer was a project engineer for a large commercial contractor. He was VERY detailed and specific. He wanted the niche directly in the center on the grout lines (and that exact size). I probably could have layed out the tile differently to make it work a little better, but I'm not perfect.

The grout joints in the floor are only 3/16. I don't know why they look so big in the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,484 Posts
Just noticed that you have nearly 200 posts. So have some thick skin here:thumbsup:

Did you design or just build?

Is the drywall niche for dust collection or does the HO like mushrooms?

Could they afford another $200 to take the tile to the ceiling?

Could they afford another $50 to take the tile outside the tub - maybe to the casing?

Could we get them some light bulbs that look good in the fixture?

I'm ragging on you man. The craftsmanship look good - some design tips would make this a really nice bath. I'll take good craftsmanship any day :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See answers.

Just noticed that you have nearly 200 posts. So have some thick skin here:thumbsup:
Skin thickening.
Did you design or just build?
Just build. But I'll answer as if I designed.
Is the drywall niche for dust collection or does the HO like mushrooms?
Custom macaroni noodle art sculptures will fill those niches.
Could they afford another $200 to take the tile to the ceiling?
See other bath pics. HO wanted only 5' feet.
Could they afford another $50 to take the tile outside the tub - maybe to the casing?
I got nothin.
Could we get them some light bulbs that look good in the fixture?
But these are the future!
I'm ragging on you man. The craftsmanship look good - some design tips would make this a really nice bath. I'll take good craftsmanship any day :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
nice work. But if that guy is a engineeer he has no clue. the bullnose to the tub need to run on each side skirt to the floor. its for water protection. That will be the first thing to have issues once the shower curtain goes up.

great job thou. The small cuts on the back walls. simple put a center line in the tub and then place a tile half on that line and your side cuts grow in size

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work!
I like the curved rod. It doesn't seem to bow-out as much as the ones I've installed (seem to come out 2').
The tiling and even the niches look clean. But, what's going on with the threshold or lack there of?
You've put up shower rods that bow out 2'!? Holy crap. The Moen one's only come out 6".
It's got a round over transition on the edge of the tile. I picked it. Idk?:blink: His whole floor in the house was havinga problem with the topcoat peeling off.

Opie- With that layout, I split a tile on the center of the shower and ran both ways. If I would have put a grout line on the center, wouldn't that have thrown off the centering of his niche? Assuming I made the niche three tiles wide and not four?

Thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate the help. I'm still learning!:clap:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I want to see a picture of the custom Macaroni sculpture!

Nice job--the drywall niches add a nice detail---and will showcase the
sculpture!

Just kidding you--nice clean work---Mike---

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Looks good. I agree with tile down the sides of the tub to the floor, but I've done it that way too. If the people aren't sloppy with the water and no kids are using it, that area outside the tub should be fine.

I think the drywall niches must be for knicknacks to go up there for display.

I like to put my niches up higher or even on the back wall. this keeps the most water from getting to it, keeps the niche cleaner and easier to maintain over time.

@ Davinci not everyone has the budget for their bathroom to be the BEST. Most people are on tight budgets and you do what they can afford for the most part. I try to push the more elaborate designs/features but sometimes they just can't afford it. It's ok if every bathroom isn't ready for a magazine cover.

It's amazing how many people don't maintain their tile/grout. they use abrasive cleaners on the tile and grout that strips the latex right out of the grout and causes mold issues later. I can't stand going back to jobs that we did years ago and seeing how bad some of the grout and tub/tile joint looks because they don't clean.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
ApgarNJ said:
Looks good. I agree with tile down the sides of the tub to the floor, but I've done it that way too. If the people aren't sloppy with the water and no kids are using it, that area outside the tub should be fine.

I think the drywall niches must be for knicknacks to go up there for display.

I like to put my niches up higher or even on the back wall. this keeps the most water from getting to it, keeps the niche cleaner and easier to maintain over time.

@ Davinci not everyone has the budget for their bathroom to be the BEST. Most people are on tight budgets and you do what they can afford for the most part. I try to push the more elaborate designs/features but sometimes they just can't afford it. It's ok if every bathroom isn't ready for a magazine cover.

It's amazing how many people don't maintain their tile/grout. they use abrasive cleaners on the tile and grout that strips the latex right out of the grout and causes mold issues later. I can't stand going back to jobs that we did years ago and seeing how bad some of the grout and tub/tile joint looks because they don't clean.
Traditional grouts can be a pain to maintain...that's one of many reasons to use an epoxy or (hey Angus!) a urethane grout...no sealing required and even if they don't clean it for a year, it will not degrade like portland based grouts

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
I found a local guy to sell me starquartz2 or starglass. I have to see what the best pricing is on that. He quoted me an 18lb bucket. not sure if it was a good price or not.

I'd rather use the premixed urethane than epoxy. how many of you use the Tec XT grout?

On some jobs it's just not going to be in their budget to use the urethane over a 30-40 dollar bag of regular grout. I think the TEC XT is 55-60 bucks a bag and is stain resistant as well.

no one ever said urethane is stainproof. but if it doesn't have to be sealed, that's a plus.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
I'd rather use the premixed urethane than epoxy. how many of you use the Tec XT grout?

On some jobs it's just not going to be in their budget to use the urethane over a 30-40 dollar bag of regular grout. I think the TEC XT is 55-60 bucks a bag and is stain resistant as well.

no one ever said urethane is stainproof. but if it doesn't have to be sealed, that's a plus.
TEC XT is typical cementitious grout and is not stain resistant (well no more than any other portland grout. They all can be stained.)

If it is 55-60/bag, what's wrong with QuartzLock 2? That's less than $60 per 9lb bucket.

And I said urethane is the most stain resistant residential grout you can buy. There Opie, I just threw the gauntlet down! :laughing:

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
angus, the 60 dollar bag of XT is more stain resistant than just regular grout. it might not be urethane but that bag does a lot more coverage than the 9lb bucket of Starquartz2. The guy quoted me 266 bucks for a the 18lb bucket of startquartz2, what was he smoking? I believe he told me the 18 lb bucket would only do 250 sq ft of grout line 1/8, on a 12x12 tile. how much coverage are you getting from the 9lb buckets on 12x12 1/8th

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
angus, the 60 dollar bag of XT is more stain resistant than just regular grout. it might not be urethane but that bag does a lot more coverage than the 9lb bucket of Starquartz2. The guy quoted me 266 bucks for a the 18lb bucket of startquartz2, what was he smoking? I believe he told me the 18 lb bucket would only do 250 sq ft of grout line 1/8, on a 12x12 tile. how much coverage are you getting from the 9lb buckets on 12x12 1/8th
Dan, let's get our terminology straight first:

StarQuartz is the company.
QuartzLock 2 is their standard urethane grout.
StarGlass is their specialty urethane grout.

QuartzLock 2 is about $60 per 9lb and get you about 150 sq ft from the 12x12 at 5/16 thick with 1/8 grout joints.
An 18lb bucket is about $108 and will get you about 300 sq ft.
I have heard of guys out East getting QuartzLock 2 for as little as $45 per 9lb.

Don't kid yourself about cementitious grout. Even if it claims to be more stain resistant, it's still not in the same league as urethane or epoxy. You still have every other weak link of that cementitious to deal with too.

Price is one of the last arguments that should be made about upgrading grout.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Dan, let's get our terminology straight first:

StarQuartz is the company.
QuartzLock 2 is their standard urethane grout.
StarGlass is their specialty urethane grout.

QuartzLock 2 is about $60 per 9lb and get you about 150 sq ft from the 12x12 at 5/16 thick with 1/8 grout joints.
An 18lb bucket is about $108 and will get you about 300 sq ft.
I have heard of guys out East getting QuartzLock 2 for as little as $45 per 9lb.

Don't kid yourself about cementitious grout. Even if it claims to be more stain resistant, it's still not in the same league as urethane or epoxy. You still have every other weak link of that cementitious to deal with too.

Price is one of the last arguments that should be made about upgrading grout.
Not trying to argue, sorry about the terminology mix up. they all sound a like sometimes.

I know it's not in the same league but it's better than cheap grout. I've had good success with accucolor and 3-4 coats of sealer. and years later it still looks good. Now that I am more aware of the availability of the urethane grout, I am more able to up sell it to the client. It's still not that popular when you go around asking about it.

I think a lot of guys upgraded to epoxy and never tried urethane.

I can't believe that guy was quoting me 266 dollars for 18lb bucket!!! that is a rip off.

Do you order yours locally or online?

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
wow my RED becon went offf.............:jester:

why use any other grout other than.............guess what i am gonna say............guess guessss..........

LATICRETE permacolor or spectralock.........:clap::whistling

Hey john wasnt trying to pick on ya with the lay out . Just saying what i do is all and apparently ya did what ya could and did what the check writer wants. All jobs are different and we cant be on every job:notworthy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts